Skip to main content

TCG Interview #1: Powerline Ultra

I had a chance to speak with Nate Reid, creator of Powerline Ultra, which just released on Saturday! Here are his answers to my questions:



Q: Please describe your trading card game!

A: Powerline Ultra is a tcg based on fighting games, manga/anime and American comics. You assume the role of a fighter and battle it out in various stages, unleash powerful attacks and turn the tide with utility cards. 



Q: What inspired you to create your own TCG?

A: I was inspired after wanting to originally make a fighting game with a big roster of bombastic characters that were all unique, spoke different languages and really push the world to a more accepting and open place. It then became a comic that I couldn't publish because I didn't know how to and finally a tcg because it was my brother and I's go to past time.



Q: What TCGs did you grow up playing as a kid?

A: Chaotic, Yu-Gi-Oh!, Pokémon and Magic for sure.



Q: What sets Powerline Ultra apart from other TCGs?

A: You assume the role of 1 character. There's no extra monsters or whatever, it's just strictly you and your rival in a very personal 1:1 battle. My game has many rulings that separate itself from the rest and it's simple enough to have all rules on 1 card. 



Q: How long have you been working on the game?

A: In concept for 11 years, a real idea for 7 and a tcg for 3.


Q: How did you come up with the name Powerline Ultra?

A: Haha well that's a funny story. So it had no name forever. Then it was going to be "Powerline" which was very boring. Then it was "Powerline Omega". It was that way until the final change to the game when my wife suggested "Powerline Ultra". Rest is history.



Q: How did the release event at Atomic Comics go on August 6th?

A: I sold out in 35 minutes with me signing almost every single foil card. 



Q: What are your future plans for Powerline Ultra?

A: I’ve got about 14 years worth of PLU in the pipeline if I do regular releases which can be supported online or through Patreon.



Q: Do you have any advice for someone looking to make their own TCG?

A: Do not give up. PLU went through 9 rule changes, 7 card faces, 7 backs and tons of playtesting allowed room for change and growth. I funded everything out of pocket which in hindsight was not smart but I proved that anyone can make a franchise or series if they really love and believe in it.



Q: Is there anything you would like to add?

A: Every character was designed to showcase the world as I grew up with. I made sure everyone spoke their native and comfortable languages because I wanted to show how beautiful the world is. No matter what Demons of addiction and depression we go through, you are not alone. You fight for your right to live a fulfilling life and no one should tell you you can't and PLU conveys that message in gameplay and story telling. PLU is about empowerment and to show you that anyone can be a hero or a good person.




You can check out Powerline Ultra on Instagram @powerlineultraofficial and purchase cards at https://www.thegamecrafter.com/search?query=powerline%20ultra 
































Comments

  1. Really enjoyed reading this! So awesome to hear some of the background inner workings with creating a TCG! 🐬

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

TCG Interview #90: Ward (Part 2)

I did a follow-up interview with Ward TCG, here are their answers to my questions! Q:  What’s new with Ward TCG since our previous interview? A: A lot has happened in the year since our last interview. Ward has hosted a dozen tournaments with great turnouts, lots of action, and many new players.    We have attended several conventions with the most recent being the HUGE Midwest gaming Classic in Milwaukee WI. The original actors from resident Evil 1 video game hung out at our booth for a while and were enamored with Ward.    We are in about 2 dozen stores, including a partnership with a Midwest convenience store chain “Luckey Seven”. They fell in love with Ward and have begun to spread it in their 37 stores across the Midwest.    We were invited to be on several interviews with ABC News. They also loved Ward and wanted to help promote an upcoming tournament we had in Minneapolis MN at that time. Being on Live TV was very nerve racking. We were also hosted by PBS for a short segment cal

TCG Interview #12: Neo Gambit

 I spoke with the creator of Neo Gambit- here are his answers to my questions: Q: Please describe your trading card game! A: NeoGambit is a fast paced and easy to play deck building combat TCG. Q: What inspired you to create a TCG? A: This came from a dream. I woke up from a nap and had dreamt of this fun TCG, reminded me of how much fun I had as a kid play card games. As a kid I spent hours playing games, but mostly alone, a lot of rules and effects for cards were off putting to others around me. So from my dream, NeoGambit was birthed. A simple fun TCG that literally anyone can play. Q: What TCGs did you grow up playing as a kid? A: My earliest memories are intertwined with TCGs, there wasn’t a moment in my childhood that I didn’t collect cards. Yugioh and Pokémon have been in my life as long as I can remember. I collected both Pokémon and yugioh for over 15 years. I also collected other TCGs over the years, my favorite being chaotic, I’d say that’s where most inspiration for the gam

TCG Interview #9: Nexvs

 I spoke with the creator of Nexvs- here are his answers to my questions: Q: Please describe your trading card game! A:  Nexvs Card Game is a two-player game designed to be compact, portable and fast paced but at the same time holds enough  strategic depth to have great games every time! In this game you will only need your 50-card deck, no extra deck, counters   or dice. The game board is easy to catch up and you can learn the rules in no time! With a space fantasy theme, through  Nexvs we will be able to explore many worlds, stories and characters!   Q: What inspired you to create a TCG? A: I've always liked to imagine sci-fi and fantasy stories since I was younger, so I began writing my own stories for fun!  Eventually I wanted to tell those stories through comics and games, but inside me there was a hidden passion for card  games that I didn't know about! My first inspiration was probably Digimon, but the 1999 card game through Digimon Tamers.  I wanted to make them just tr