Skip to main content

TCG Interview #6: Mythik

 

I spoke with the creator of Mythik TCG- here are his answers to my questions:

Q: Please describe your trading card game!

A: Mythik is a multiplayer strategic trading card game where players build decks of ancient gods, mythological beasts, and historical characters. The first release has 5 core archetypes: Greek gods, Egyptian gods, Japanese Samurai and Kami spirits, Ancient Rome, and Genghis Khan’s Horde. The game also includes other archetypes such as the Norse gods, the princes of Hell, and many others. 

Q: What inspired you to create a TCG?

A: I have been collecting both trading cards and playing cards for many years and always wanted to create my own game. I am also fascinated by ancient history and mythology and thought it would be super cool to have a game where all those different characters can battle with their own unique powers. So with the help of my co-creator, we designed Mythik TCG which allows players to combine various gods from different mythologies to build their own unique decks and determine bragging rights based on the best deck.


Q: What TCGs did you grow up playing as a kid?

A: Lots and lots of Yugioh and a bit of Pokemon

Q: What sets Mythik apart from other TCGs?

A: Mythik combines various mythological lore from around the world, allowing ancient gods and legendary armies to battle each other using their own unique powers. Every card in Mythik TCG has a unique power based on that character’s mythological story. Players can either build decks based entirely on a single archetype or can mix and match gods from different lore to create an entirely unique strategy and playstyle.

Q: How long have you been working on the game?

A: I have had the idea for a game combining the world’s mythological legends for many years but it was not until this past year when work truly began. We started actual production of Mythik in the fall of 2021 and have been working tirelessly since then to develop the game into what it is today.

Q: How did you come up with the name Mythik?

A: Weeks and weeks of brainstorming. We knew we wanted the name to give a nod to mythology and eventually it just boiled down to Mythik with a K.

Q: What is the design and illustration process like?

A: The design process is the longest and most challenging part of creating a TCG. Everybody knows that art is arguably the most important factor in a TCG, and creating great art takes a LONG time. If you are an artist, you know how long it can take to research, sketch, finish, and edit even one piece. Our game has over 200 individual pieces of art for our cards which took about 9 months and 12 different artists to complete.


Q: What are your future plans for the game?

A: We have many more core archetypes we want to add to the game. We are already developing the Norse mythology into a full card core and have plans to add the Hindu gods, Aztec gods, and legendary characters from the Three Kingdoms of the Chinese Warring States era.

Q:  What do you enjoy most about TCGs?

A: I personally love that every TCG card is a work of art but also has a function to play with. TCGs let us meet new people, connect with our friends, and strategize gameplay all while simultaneously allowing us to collect amazing works of art. Plus the thrill of opening booster packs never gets old!

Q: What is currently your favorite TCG?

A: Yugioh is still my favorite TCG because it brings so much nostalgia for me. But I love learning all the new indie TCGs out there and seeing the multitude of artistic styles and creative game mechanics.

Q: Do you have any advice for someone looking to make their own TCG?

A: First, know that creating any game takes a LOT of work and a LOT of money. You have to design the game mechanics, create art for the game, secure production and fulfilment channels, etc. To create Mythik, I put in an entire year of spending 40-50 hours each week (in addition to my actual fulltime job) developing the game and our team collectively put in more than $15k of our own money before we even launched the Kickstarter. But if you LOVE being creative while still being business-minded, creating your own game is 100% worth it. 

The most important thing to do is to create a plan where you map out every single step that needs to happen from the first concept idea to whatever you see as your end game. Then every day you will know exactly what you need to do to keep your game progressing. 

 

***Their Kickstarter just launched today and will be live for 4 weeks!***

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/maxmajesty/mythik-trading-card-game















Comments

  1. Really like the arts on this! Love reading these interviews

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

TCG Interview #90: Ward (Part 2)

I did a follow-up interview with Ward TCG, here are their answers to my questions! Q:  What’s new with Ward TCG since our previous interview? A: A lot has happened in the year since our last interview. Ward has hosted a dozen tournaments with great turnouts, lots of action, and many new players.    We have attended several conventions with the most recent being the HUGE Midwest gaming Classic in Milwaukee WI. The original actors from resident Evil 1 video game hung out at our booth for a while and were enamored with Ward.    We are in about 2 dozen stores, including a partnership with a Midwest convenience store chain “Luckey Seven”. They fell in love with Ward and have begun to spread it in their 37 stores across the Midwest.    We were invited to be on several interviews with ABC News. They also loved Ward and wanted to help promote an upcoming tournament we had in Minneapolis MN at that time. Being on Live TV was very nerve racking. We were also hosted by PBS for a short segment cal

TCG Interview #12: Neo Gambit

 I spoke with the creator of Neo Gambit- here are his answers to my questions: Q: Please describe your trading card game! A: NeoGambit is a fast paced and easy to play deck building combat TCG. Q: What inspired you to create a TCG? A: This came from a dream. I woke up from a nap and had dreamt of this fun TCG, reminded me of how much fun I had as a kid play card games. As a kid I spent hours playing games, but mostly alone, a lot of rules and effects for cards were off putting to others around me. So from my dream, NeoGambit was birthed. A simple fun TCG that literally anyone can play. Q: What TCGs did you grow up playing as a kid? A: My earliest memories are intertwined with TCGs, there wasn’t a moment in my childhood that I didn’t collect cards. Yugioh and Pokémon have been in my life as long as I can remember. I collected both Pokémon and yugioh for over 15 years. I also collected other TCGs over the years, my favorite being chaotic, I’d say that’s where most inspiration for the gam

TCG Interview #9: Nexvs

 I spoke with the creator of Nexvs- here are his answers to my questions: Q: Please describe your trading card game! A:  Nexvs Card Game is a two-player game designed to be compact, portable and fast paced but at the same time holds enough  strategic depth to have great games every time! In this game you will only need your 50-card deck, no extra deck, counters   or dice. The game board is easy to catch up and you can learn the rules in no time! With a space fantasy theme, through  Nexvs we will be able to explore many worlds, stories and characters!   Q: What inspired you to create a TCG? A: I've always liked to imagine sci-fi and fantasy stories since I was younger, so I began writing my own stories for fun!  Eventually I wanted to tell those stories through comics and games, but inside me there was a hidden passion for card  games that I didn't know about! My first inspiration was probably Digimon, but the 1999 card game through Digimon Tamers.  I wanted to make them just tr