Skip to main content

TCG Interview #14: SpellBooks

 I spoke with the creator of SpellBooks- here are her answers to my questions:

Q: Please describe your trading card game! 

A: SpellBooks™ is a game in which 2-6 players take on the personas of powerful magicians engaged in dangerous battles! Players do this by collecting cards and organizing them into pages of spells to create their own unique spellbook. The game is played in a series of rounds, with each player casting spells in order to reduce their opponents' Health to 0. Players begin with 25 Health and the last player with Health remaining is the winner.


Q: What inspired you to create a TCG? 

A: Card games were a huge part of my childhood and were my first passion. While a lot of kids were playing sports - I was playing Yu-Gi-Oh and Pokémon.


Eventually I got into DnD and other RPGs as well, becoming a “forever game master” or someone who spends their time building the world for others to play in and running the games.


For a long time I wanted to merge these two passions, and have tried a few different ideas over the years. Eventually, on a long car ride with my then-girlfriend-now-wife, Natalee, we came up with the initial idea for spellbooks.


Q: What TCGs did you grow up playing as a kid? 

A: I started playing tcgs around age 6. As a kid I mostly played Y-Gi-Oh, but also some Pokémon. Once I got to about 8th grade Magic the Gathering entered the mix.


Q: What sets SpellBooks apart from other TCGs? 

A: Spellbooks is a one-of-a-kind tcg that creates an immersive rpg-like experience while providing tcg style streamlined gameplay. Three main mechanics work together to achieve this.


First, our modular card system. Most SpellBooks cards can be used with most other SpellBooks cards. There are no factions or archetypes. In fact, most cards only represent PART of a spell. Each turn players play groups of cards that together form a coherent effect and advance gameplay. This design philosophy is what allows the other two main mechanics to function smoothly.


Second, our book style play system. Instead of building a deck, players organize their cards into a 2x2 card binder called a spellbook. These have 4 and 8 card pages that consist of preselected spells a player may choose from between each round. Putting together a simple spellbook is quick and easy enough for new players to do with little preparation but modifying it into a powerful tome is the SpellBooks main test of skill. “Writing” these pages of spells in a personal “book” adds a level of rpg-like immersion that isn’t really found in other tcgs.


Lastly, our dice system that determines resources and turn order. Spellbooks is played in a series of rounds, during which each player takes a turn. At the start of each round players roll a set of polyhedral dice that determine two things. First: the amount of magic available to each player to cast spells from their chosen pages and second: the order each player will take their turn and play their spell. This is what contributes to the luck factor - replacing the “luck of the draw” with a “roll of the dice”.


Together these three factors create a unique game with a varied and dynamic gameplay that offers endless possibilities.


Q: How long have you been working on the game? 

A: My spouse and I first began discussing and sketching out spellbooks in July 2019, so a little over 3 years.


Q: How did you come up with the name SpellBooks?

A: We wanted to highlight the book-building aspect of the game. Taking on the role of a mage writing their book of spells is the central theme of SpellBooks.


Q: What is the illustration/design process like? 

A: At this point I do almost all of it. Currently I will usually come up with an idea for a card or group of cards and an idea of what they do - at that point I assign attributes, a rough version of their text, and cost. 


Then I start drawing. Most of the art is done drawing in photoshop. I start with a sketch or under-painting and slowly build it up to a finished graphic novel-esque style.


Once the images are done, I revise the cards name, effect, cost, and combine all the info into a spreadsheet. Once a set of cards is done, I run that through photoshop as a data set, do final touch ups on individual cards, and… they’re done! Ready to be uploaded and sent off for publishing in the next release.


Q: What are your future plans for SpellBooks? 

A: At this point: just keep working on it!


As of now, I am a one woman show - handling everything from game design and illustration/graphic design to social media. My plan is to keep creating, putting out as much content as I can and hopefully growing SpellBooks into something large enough that I can bring on some help.


I am currently wrapping up illustrations for 40 new cards for our second set: intro to conjure! The 40 new cards, as well as 32 reprints from Spellcasting 101 will make up the available cards in the new set.


The best way to stay up to date with SpellBooks upcoming releases is to subscribe to our YouTube, Instagram, and Patron pages.


Q: Do you have any advice for someone looking to make their own TCG?

A: First- Just do it! If you have an idea you should build it, even if it’s just for you. 


Second- I recommend starting with a theme and then building basic mechanics around that theme, at least one of which is unique. Once you know how your game should be played, coming up with useful cards is a lot easier.


Third- don’t be afraid to start over! SpellBooks was completely written and rewritten 5 or so times before my playtesters and I finally landed on the formula we came up with now. However, when you start over keep in mind what NEEDS to stay the same to keep to the central theme; if those things don’t exist in the new version you have a different game.


And lastly, of course, have fun. We’re making games after all.


For more, check out:

https://www.thegamecrafter.com/games/spellbooks:-spellcasting-101-grimoire-base-set-

instagram: @graymagus.games

patreon: @SpellBooksGame

youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCBMqzA9bU9BUqiytB-KHYvQ




















Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

TCG Interview #90: Ward (Part 2)

I did a follow-up interview with Ward TCG, here are their answers to my questions! Q:  What’s new with Ward TCG since our previous interview? A: A lot has happened in the year since our last interview. Ward has hosted a dozen tournaments with great turnouts, lots of action, and many new players.    We have attended several conventions with the most recent being the HUGE Midwest gaming Classic in Milwaukee WI. The original actors from resident Evil 1 video game hung out at our booth for a while and were enamored with Ward.    We are in about 2 dozen stores, including a partnership with a Midwest convenience store chain “Luckey Seven”. They fell in love with Ward and have begun to spread it in their 37 stores across the Midwest.    We were invited to be on several interviews with ABC News. They also loved Ward and wanted to help promote an upcoming tournament we had in Minneapolis MN at that time. Being on Live TV was very nerve racking. We were also hosted by PBS for a short segment cal

TCG Interview #12: Neo Gambit

 I spoke with the creator of Neo Gambit- here are his answers to my questions: Q: Please describe your trading card game! A: NeoGambit is a fast paced and easy to play deck building combat TCG. Q: What inspired you to create a TCG? A: This came from a dream. I woke up from a nap and had dreamt of this fun TCG, reminded me of how much fun I had as a kid play card games. As a kid I spent hours playing games, but mostly alone, a lot of rules and effects for cards were off putting to others around me. So from my dream, NeoGambit was birthed. A simple fun TCG that literally anyone can play. Q: What TCGs did you grow up playing as a kid? A: My earliest memories are intertwined with TCGs, there wasn’t a moment in my childhood that I didn’t collect cards. Yugioh and Pokémon have been in my life as long as I can remember. I collected both Pokémon and yugioh for over 15 years. I also collected other TCGs over the years, my favorite being chaotic, I’d say that’s where most inspiration for the gam

TCG Interview #9: Nexvs

 I spoke with the creator of Nexvs- here are his answers to my questions: Q: Please describe your trading card game! A:  Nexvs Card Game is a two-player game designed to be compact, portable and fast paced but at the same time holds enough  strategic depth to have great games every time! In this game you will only need your 50-card deck, no extra deck, counters   or dice. The game board is easy to catch up and you can learn the rules in no time! With a space fantasy theme, through  Nexvs we will be able to explore many worlds, stories and characters!   Q: What inspired you to create a TCG? A: I've always liked to imagine sci-fi and fantasy stories since I was younger, so I began writing my own stories for fun!  Eventually I wanted to tell those stories through comics and games, but inside me there was a hidden passion for card  games that I didn't know about! My first inspiration was probably Digimon, but the 1999 card game through Digimon Tamers.  I wanted to make them just tr