Skip to main content

TCG Interview #8: Booster Brat

 I spoke with the creator of Booster Brat- here are his answers to my questions:

Q: Please describe your trading card game!

A: So Booster Brat is not only a Trading Card Game, but a Trading Card Story. It follows the journey of three brothers as they are indoctrinated into the powerful Pocketeer cult, an organization dedicated to collecting everything in the universe and preserving it all in trading cards. As you collect more of the cards, you unlock more of the story, and watch them overcome enemy collectors, dodge shady trades and generally bicker and argue as all brothers do. With the lore and art already primed, I am now developing the gameplay side of the project. Keeping with the ‘collecting’ aspect of the story, the game will be see two players taking on the rolls of competing Pocketeer Agents seeking to steal each others collections


Q: What inspired you to create a TCG?

A: I always loved collecting trading card games as a kid with my brothers. While they eventually left the obsession behind, mine has followed me into adulthood. I have so many vivid memories of playing games, seeking out holos, and losing cards to ill advised trades or turns of rotten luck. That is what Booster Brat is, memories. All the characters, situations and events are based on my own experiences as a collector, experiences I think many people will find relatable. As a kid, gameplay always came secondary to the art and design, and while this project started with a similar mindset, it has evolved into a game I truly think will be fun and addicting.


Q: What TCGs did you grow up playing as a kid?

A: The games my brothers and I played most heavily were the lesser known Lord of the Rings and Harry Potter, but we had our greedy fingers in MTG, Pokemon and Digimon as well.


Q: What sets Booster Brat apart from other TCGs?

A: First, I wanted to keep the gameplay simple but addicting, and having grown up playing variants of Texas Hold’em, BlackJack and the like, the idea of stacking a deck with as many aces, four of a kinds and wild cards as possible and unleashing these combos on an opponent was wickedly appealing.  In addition to game text, each card also has deep lore and story beats. Booster Brat is a story as well as a game, and the game really follows the beats and themes I created while writing the story. Each card is essentially a panel of a graphic novel, featuring dialogue, lore and descriptions that will weave an epic tale across hundreds of cards. I am the artist, writer, and graphic designer of Booster Brat.


Q: How long have you been working on the game?

A: I have been creating illustrations for years, but Booster Brat as a project, as a game, as a brand, really only came together in the last year.


Q: What is your illustration process like?

A: A lot of my art is heavily influenced by my childhood experiences with Pokemon, Digimon, Magic, etc. Once I have an idea or have latched on to a childhood memory, I sketch the idea with pencil on paper. I scan the basic drawing into my computer and do most of the line art in adobe illustrator. I draw texture or shapes from reference images, say Goofy’s eye shape, Nidokings ears, the texture of a pirate ships sails, and eventually take the piece into photoshop to create the lighting and shading effects. Booster Brat started as a parody of Disney, Pokemon, 50’s cartoons, and many more, and has become its own distinct thing over time. As I realized I was creating my own vision, I distanced my characters and creations from their sources of inspiration and expanded them into their own unique selves.


Q: How did you come up with the name Booster Brat?

A: I was a bratty kid who got everything I wanted, including almost every kind of collectible card known to man. I am Booster Brat, I always have been.


Q: What are your future plans for Booster Brat?

A: A kickstarter is planned for the future, once gameplay is locked down and the card designs are all finalized. But I am not rushing myself. I am making sure all the details are correct, all the beats thought out and planned. I am approaching this project as an artist first, so every card is an extension of my vision. I’d love it if every person who collects my cards has a different favorite card. No corners will be cut, no ideas left unpuzzled. Booster Brat’s story is separated into 5 parts, based on the cards games that really shaped my childhood: Pokemon, Digimon, Lord of the Rings, MTG and Star Wars CCG. So 5 big releases is what I see the project separated into, with possibilities stretching on far past that.


Q: Which conventions will you be at this year?

A: Long Beach Collect-A-Con just wrapped up, and it was amazing to meet so many new people and existing fans. I really enjoyed the con as a whole, and am looking into maybe traveling for some future ones this year. DesignerCon is coming up in November, so sharing these cards as a ‘Designer TCG’ is an appealing thought as well.


Q: Do you have any advice for someone looking to make their own TCG?

A: 1.Take your time. Don’t try to cash in on hype and make a quick buck, approach the project with passion   2. Quality over quantity. Be proud of every card, every mechanic, every product. 3. You may think people don't notice you are cutting corners, but they do. Measure twice, cut once. Do it right.  4. Everyone is an artist and is capable of creating art. Perceived lack of art or design ability should not hold you back from creating. If you can’t draw, take pictures. If you can’t take pictures, write your ideas. There is always a way to capture a brilliant idea, you just have to really want it captured.



For more, check out @boosterbrat and https://boosterbrat.bigcartel.com











Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

TCG Interview #74: Ward

I spoke to the creators of WARD! Here are their answers to my questions:  Q: Please describe your trading card game! A: Ward is a trading card game that blends aspects from other popular TCGs like Pokemon, Yugioh, and Magic: The Gathering, but adds a Dungeons and Dragons style, dice rolling, battle system. We then simplified all aspects/systems so anyone can learn how to play with ease. Q: What inspired you to create your own TCG? A: Ward was inspired by creator Joe Casey when he decided to buy a few packs of a new card game (We will not say which). He had always loved card games of any type, Pokemon, Yugioh, Magic, Cribbage, Poker, and so many more. He brought the packs home, opened them up and read the rules in order to play it. For several hours, he and another future Ward associate, could not figure out the rules or general layout of playing the game. YouTube videos did not explain it well either. Eventually, they gave up and moved on. The idea for Ward was not created on this ...

TCG Interview #49: Object Outrage: War of the Whatchamacallits

I spoke with the creator of Object Outrage: War of the Whatchamacallits! Here are his answers to my questions: Q: Please describe your trading card game! A: Object Outrage: War of the Whatchamacallits is a tcg that has random objects fight to the death during a war that started after a group of scientists created a device that makes inanimate objects come to life. The Objects have teamed up based on what their preferred weapons and fighting style is, and attack any species of object that they haven’t teamed up with. Q: What inspired you to create your own TCG? A: My best friend who made Power Beasts and Culinary Combat was my inspiration for making OOTCG. He got me into HTCGs and helped me start OOTCG. My other inspiration is Chaos Galaxy, I used to watch his videos when I was younger and still love watching him today. Q: What TCGs did you grow up playing as a kid? A: I used to play a lot of Pokemon and Yugioh, I collected a lot of cards for each game and still have some of them. I pl...

TCG Interview #88: Disc Cards

I spoke with Rob Eames, the creator of Disc Cards- h ere are his answers to my questions!  Q: Please describe your trading card game! A: I have always thought of it as a child of Magic: the Gathering and Yahtzee lineage, with Disc Golf  serving as the Midwife. That’s the glib answer, the serious one is this:  Disc Cards is a Trading Card Game, to be sold in Specialty Game Shops and especially Disc Golf Pro  Shops.  Players have a Deck of 60 cards, with no more than 3 of the same Disc Side allowed, and no more  than 3 of the same Location Side allowed. Each player has three 6-sided dice, and they use their dice  rolls and Disc Cards to match the obstacles along their chosen Route (players can choose to go for a  Par, a Birdie, or an Ace: a hole in one). You can play Disc Cards with a Group or Solo, you can decide to play high risk/reward or low-risk conservative, you can choose to help your opponents or you can choose to hinder your opponents:...