Skip to main content

TCG Interview #9: Nexvs

 I spoke with the creator of Nexvs- here are his answers to my questions:

Q: Please describe your trading card game!
A: Nexvs Card Game is a two-player game designed to be compact, portable and fast paced but at the same time holds enough strategic depth to have great games every time! In this game you will only need your 50-card deck, no extra deck, counters or dice. The game board is easy to catch up and you can learn the rules in no time! With a space fantasy theme, through Nexvs we will be able to explore many worlds, stories and characters! 

Q: What inspired you to create a TCG?
A: I've always liked to imagine sci-fi and fantasy stories since I was younger, so I began writing my own stories for fun! Eventually I wanted to tell those stories through comics and games, but inside me there was a hidden passion for card games that I didn't know about! My first inspiration was probably Digimon, but the 1999 card game through Digimon Tamers. I wanted to make them just trading cards, with a cool artwork and lore text. Eventually I knew more trading card games, like Cardfight Vanguard, Magic The Gathering, Duel Masters and Wixoss and decided that I wanted to also create a system for a game. Not only I wanted to create trading cards, but the challenge to create a game was so exciting.

Q: What TCGs did you grow up playing as a kid?
A: Actually none! My first experience with trading cards was with Digimon Tamers and Dinosaur King. I used to draw little dinosaur cards and just play around with those. That was around 2009. Later in 2015 I re-discovered my passion for cards with Cardfight and Wixoss.

Q: What sets Nexvs apart from other TCGs?
A: The gameplay feels familiar but the same time it is unique. The game engine is very basic but at the same time it has a variety of options for strategies. Even with mirror matches you can end up playing really good games! For the creative side, I consider Nexvs to be a platform for experimentation, from themes to other mechanics. These first sets are going to be like an exploration for Nexvs with no specific theme on them. You can see a giant cyborg machine and the next card can be a warrior of a tribe, or a funny frog, anything is possible!  

Q: How long have you been working on the game?
A: I began writting stories and drawing trading cards in 2009, but in 2015 I started to work in what would become Nexvs today! In 2017 I officially created Nexvs Project and the rest is history! I also began drawing artwork in the year 2018, very amateur art but that style grabbed the attention of many people. If it weren't for my friends in the trading card games community I wouldn't be as big as I am right now, so I am thankful for that.

Q: How did you come up with the name Nexvs?
A: In the stories I was writing in the past, there was this concept of a sub-dimensional space called Nexus, that would connect worlds and dimensions together. I didn't really have many other ideas for the name so it stuck with the game from the early prototypes to this day! The letter change "u" to "v" was because of someone having a game called "Nexus" as well in the ancient days, I didn't wanted a name change so I just switched the letter. Later they turned out to be scammers but I didn't return the name to NEXUS with a U. NEXVS with a V right now is very recognizable and unique.

Q: What is your illustration process?
A: Myself, as the main artist for the game, I check the list to do that I have for the cards, go from the common lower level cards to the higher level most rare cards. I first do some design sketches for the character to know more about it, then I progress into sketching and rendering the subject and the background. Since these first sets don't have a specified storyline I just create everything in the process, from the setting, background, etc. So far, the most difficult thing for me to draw are backgrounds, landscapes and scenarios. But hoping to get even better as time passes! 

Q: What are your future plans for Nexvs?
A: Many plans! Right now I am in the process of creating the illustrations for two upcoming start decks and an update for the Blitz Deck! Revamped artwork and new stuff, so this time for sure, players can learn all the basics of the game! I don't plan to create over 100 card sets every time, since I want to work in other projects for Nexvs, and also I am still a one person team, and I like it that way so far! I have plans for future sets with a storyline, an upcoming comic book story and who knows! Maybe even a video game. I am excited to work on many things but I know I gotta take one step at the time! 

For more, check out @nexvsproject and https://linktr.ee/nexvsproject












Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

TCG Interview #90: Ward (Part 2)

I did a follow-up interview with Ward TCG, here are their answers to my questions! Q:  What’s new with Ward TCG since our previous interview? A: A lot has happened in the year since our last interview. Ward has hosted a dozen tournaments with great turnouts, lots of action, and many new players.    We have attended several conventions with the most recent being the HUGE Midwest gaming Classic in Milwaukee WI. The original actors from resident Evil 1 video game hung out at our booth for a while and were enamored with Ward.    We are in about 2 dozen stores, including a partnership with a Midwest convenience store chain “Luckey Seven”. They fell in love with Ward and have begun to spread it in their 37 stores across the Midwest.    We were invited to be on several interviews with ABC News. They also loved Ward and wanted to help promote an upcoming tournament we had in Minneapolis MN at that time. Being on Live TV was very nerve racking. We were also hosted by PBS for a short segment cal

TCG Interview #12: Neo Gambit

 I spoke with the creator of Neo Gambit- here are his answers to my questions: Q: Please describe your trading card game! A: NeoGambit is a fast paced and easy to play deck building combat TCG. Q: What inspired you to create a TCG? A: This came from a dream. I woke up from a nap and had dreamt of this fun TCG, reminded me of how much fun I had as a kid play card games. As a kid I spent hours playing games, but mostly alone, a lot of rules and effects for cards were off putting to others around me. So from my dream, NeoGambit was birthed. A simple fun TCG that literally anyone can play. Q: What TCGs did you grow up playing as a kid? A: My earliest memories are intertwined with TCGs, there wasn’t a moment in my childhood that I didn’t collect cards. Yugioh and Pokémon have been in my life as long as I can remember. I collected both Pokémon and yugioh for over 15 years. I also collected other TCGs over the years, my favorite being chaotic, I’d say that’s where most inspiration for the gam