Skip to main content

TCG Interview #9: Nexvs

 I spoke with the creator of Nexvs- here are his answers to my questions:

Q: Please describe your trading card game!
A: Nexvs Card Game is a two-player game designed to be compact, portable and fast paced but at the same time holds enough strategic depth to have great games every time! In this game you will only need your 50-card deck, no extra deck, counters or dice. The game board is easy to catch up and you can learn the rules in no time! With a space fantasy theme, through Nexvs we will be able to explore many worlds, stories and characters! 

Q: What inspired you to create a TCG?
A: I've always liked to imagine sci-fi and fantasy stories since I was younger, so I began writing my own stories for fun! Eventually I wanted to tell those stories through comics and games, but inside me there was a hidden passion for card games that I didn't know about! My first inspiration was probably Digimon, but the 1999 card game through Digimon Tamers. I wanted to make them just trading cards, with a cool artwork and lore text. Eventually I knew more trading card games, like Cardfight Vanguard, Magic The Gathering, Duel Masters and Wixoss and decided that I wanted to also create a system for a game. Not only I wanted to create trading cards, but the challenge to create a game was so exciting.

Q: What TCGs did you grow up playing as a kid?
A: Actually none! My first experience with trading cards was with Digimon Tamers and Dinosaur King. I used to draw little dinosaur cards and just play around with those. That was around 2009. Later in 2015 I re-discovered my passion for cards with Cardfight and Wixoss.

Q: What sets Nexvs apart from other TCGs?
A: The gameplay feels familiar but the same time it is unique. The game engine is very basic but at the same time it has a variety of options for strategies. Even with mirror matches you can end up playing really good games! For the creative side, I consider Nexvs to be a platform for experimentation, from themes to other mechanics. These first sets are going to be like an exploration for Nexvs with no specific theme on them. You can see a giant cyborg machine and the next card can be a warrior of a tribe, or a funny frog, anything is possible!  

Q: How long have you been working on the game?
A: I began writting stories and drawing trading cards in 2009, but in 2015 I started to work in what would become Nexvs today! In 2017 I officially created Nexvs Project and the rest is history! I also began drawing artwork in the year 2018, very amateur art but that style grabbed the attention of many people. If it weren't for my friends in the trading card games community I wouldn't be as big as I am right now, so I am thankful for that.

Q: How did you come up with the name Nexvs?
A: In the stories I was writing in the past, there was this concept of a sub-dimensional space called Nexus, that would connect worlds and dimensions together. I didn't really have many other ideas for the name so it stuck with the game from the early prototypes to this day! The letter change "u" to "v" was because of someone having a game called "Nexus" as well in the ancient days, I didn't wanted a name change so I just switched the letter. Later they turned out to be scammers but I didn't return the name to NEXUS with a U. NEXVS with a V right now is very recognizable and unique.

Q: What is your illustration process?
A: Myself, as the main artist for the game, I check the list to do that I have for the cards, go from the common lower level cards to the higher level most rare cards. I first do some design sketches for the character to know more about it, then I progress into sketching and rendering the subject and the background. Since these first sets don't have a specified storyline I just create everything in the process, from the setting, background, etc. So far, the most difficult thing for me to draw are backgrounds, landscapes and scenarios. But hoping to get even better as time passes! 

Q: What are your future plans for Nexvs?
A: Many plans! Right now I am in the process of creating the illustrations for two upcoming start decks and an update for the Blitz Deck! Revamped artwork and new stuff, so this time for sure, players can learn all the basics of the game! I don't plan to create over 100 card sets every time, since I want to work in other projects for Nexvs, and also I am still a one person team, and I like it that way so far! I have plans for future sets with a storyline, an upcoming comic book story and who knows! Maybe even a video game. I am excited to work on many things but I know I gotta take one step at the time! 

For more, check out @nexvsproject and https://linktr.ee/nexvsproject












Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

TCG Interview #74: Ward

I spoke to the creators of WARD! Here are their answers to my questions:  Q: Please describe your trading card game! A: Ward is a trading card game that blends aspects from other popular TCGs like Pokemon, Yugioh, and Magic: The Gathering, but adds a Dungeons and Dragons style, dice rolling, battle system. We then simplified all aspects/systems so anyone can learn how to play with ease. Q: What inspired you to create your own TCG? A: Ward was inspired by creator Joe Casey when he decided to buy a few packs of a new card game (We will not say which). He had always loved card games of any type, Pokemon, Yugioh, Magic, Cribbage, Poker, and so many more. He brought the packs home, opened them up and read the rules in order to play it. For several hours, he and another future Ward associate, could not figure out the rules or general layout of playing the game. YouTube videos did not explain it well either. Eventually, they gave up and moved on. The idea for Ward was not created on this ...

TCG Interview #49: Object Outrage: War of the Whatchamacallits

I spoke with the creator of Object Outrage: War of the Whatchamacallits! Here are his answers to my questions: Q: Please describe your trading card game! A: Object Outrage: War of the Whatchamacallits is a tcg that has random objects fight to the death during a war that started after a group of scientists created a device that makes inanimate objects come to life. The Objects have teamed up based on what their preferred weapons and fighting style is, and attack any species of object that they haven’t teamed up with. Q: What inspired you to create your own TCG? A: My best friend who made Power Beasts and Culinary Combat was my inspiration for making OOTCG. He got me into HTCGs and helped me start OOTCG. My other inspiration is Chaos Galaxy, I used to watch his videos when I was younger and still love watching him today. Q: What TCGs did you grow up playing as a kid? A: I used to play a lot of Pokemon and Yugioh, I collected a lot of cards for each game and still have some of them. I pl...

TCG Interview #88: Disc Cards

I spoke with Rob Eames, the creator of Disc Cards- h ere are his answers to my questions!  Q: Please describe your trading card game! A: I have always thought of it as a child of Magic: the Gathering and Yahtzee lineage, with Disc Golf  serving as the Midwife. That’s the glib answer, the serious one is this:  Disc Cards is a Trading Card Game, to be sold in Specialty Game Shops and especially Disc Golf Pro  Shops.  Players have a Deck of 60 cards, with no more than 3 of the same Disc Side allowed, and no more  than 3 of the same Location Side allowed. Each player has three 6-sided dice, and they use their dice  rolls and Disc Cards to match the obstacles along their chosen Route (players can choose to go for a  Par, a Birdie, or an Ace: a hole in one). You can play Disc Cards with a Group or Solo, you can decide to play high risk/reward or low-risk conservative, you can choose to help your opponents or you can choose to hinder your opponents:...