Skip to main content

TCG Interview #18: Rout

 I spoke with the creators of Rout- here are their answers to my questions:


Q: Please describe your trading card game!

A: ROUT is a competitive TCG designed from the ground up for high level tournament play. In ROUT, you choose a base, level up Skills and deploy cards from those Skills to destroy your opponent’s base!


Q: What inspired you to create a TCG?

A: Between the team members we have about 50 years of TCG play in tournaments and casually, and we found a few things present in most TCGs to be unnecessary and began toying with making it better. Once a few cards were designed it just took off from there!


Q: What TCGs did you grow up playing as a kid?

A: Pokémon was the first for most of us, then MTG, YGO, and Hearthstone to follow. All great games!


Q: What sets Rout apart from other games?

A: The easiest answer is the Skills and Combat systems. The Skills system replaces traditional ‘mana’ systems with a 0 variance option allowing you to gain a guaranteed point every turn in the Skill of your choosing. Combat pulls from a few TCGs along with new mechanics to allow more interaction by attacking units or the opponent, along with a number of combat mechanics.


Q: How long have you been working on the game?

A: The card game has always been a dream, but as we set the business groundwork, the game has been in serious production for approaching two years now.


Q: How did you come up with the name Rout?

A: The lore of the game implies that opposing players are fighting for neutral territory therefore routing the opponent would mean you win the territory.


Q: What is the illustration/design process like?

A: We are the first tcg made entirely with AI generated art! This means a lot more hours for the team members as we prompt and re prompt the AI hundreds of times on average for each piece, but we think it brings a uniquely digital art style to the game and allows us to produce on a reliable timeline.


Q: When will the game be officially released?

A: Our Kickstarter releases November 1st for physical product! Until then (and beyond) we run a free beta on Tabletop Simulator with weekly tournaments with a cash prize! All of those are available now on our website routtcg.com


Q: What are your future plans for Rout?

A: We intend to do 2 sets a year at present with in person and online competitive play supported by the development team!


Q: Do you have any advice for someone looking to make their own TCG?

A: Think about things you like and don’t like about other games. Don’t be afraid to try a lot of things in testing and finalize everything in testing before release to the public. Also, betas are great! Our players have found lots of things in our beta that would have been broken and needed fixed. The more eyes the better!


For more, check out their Instagram @routtcg and www.routtcg.com











Comments

Popular posts from this blog

TCG Interview #90: Ward (Part 2)

I did a follow-up interview with Ward TCG, here are their answers to my questions! Q:  What’s new with Ward TCG since our previous interview? A: A lot has happened in the year since our last interview. Ward has hosted a dozen tournaments with great turnouts, lots of action, and many new players.    We have attended several conventions with the most recent being the HUGE Midwest gaming Classic in Milwaukee WI. The original actors from resident Evil 1 video game hung out at our booth for a while and were enamored with Ward.    We are in about 2 dozen stores, including a partnership with a Midwest convenience store chain “Luckey Seven”. They fell in love with Ward and have begun to spread it in their 37 stores across the Midwest.    We were invited to be on several interviews with ABC News. They also loved Ward and wanted to help promote an upcoming tournament we had in Minneapolis MN at that time. Being on Live TV was very nerve racking. We were also hosted by PBS for a short segment cal

TCG Interview #12: Neo Gambit

 I spoke with the creator of Neo Gambit- here are his answers to my questions: Q: Please describe your trading card game! A: NeoGambit is a fast paced and easy to play deck building combat TCG. Q: What inspired you to create a TCG? A: This came from a dream. I woke up from a nap and had dreamt of this fun TCG, reminded me of how much fun I had as a kid play card games. As a kid I spent hours playing games, but mostly alone, a lot of rules and effects for cards were off putting to others around me. So from my dream, NeoGambit was birthed. A simple fun TCG that literally anyone can play. Q: What TCGs did you grow up playing as a kid? A: My earliest memories are intertwined with TCGs, there wasn’t a moment in my childhood that I didn’t collect cards. Yugioh and Pokémon have been in my life as long as I can remember. I collected both Pokémon and yugioh for over 15 years. I also collected other TCGs over the years, my favorite being chaotic, I’d say that’s where most inspiration for the gam

TCG Interview #9: Nexvs

 I spoke with the creator of Nexvs- here are his answers to my questions: Q: Please describe your trading card game! A:  Nexvs Card Game is a two-player game designed to be compact, portable and fast paced but at the same time holds enough  strategic depth to have great games every time! In this game you will only need your 50-card deck, no extra deck, counters   or dice. The game board is easy to catch up and you can learn the rules in no time! With a space fantasy theme, through  Nexvs we will be able to explore many worlds, stories and characters!   Q: What inspired you to create a TCG? A: I've always liked to imagine sci-fi and fantasy stories since I was younger, so I began writing my own stories for fun!  Eventually I wanted to tell those stories through comics and games, but inside me there was a hidden passion for card  games that I didn't know about! My first inspiration was probably Digimon, but the 1999 card game through Digimon Tamers.  I wanted to make them just tr