Skip to main content

TCG Interview #16: Guardians of Dreamstate

 I spoke with the creator of Guardians of Dreamstate- here are his answers to my questions:


Q: Please describe your trading card game!

A: Guardians of Dreamstate TCG is a same turn fast paced card game.  Both players take each phase of the turn at the same time, this always makes each moment of the battle intense!


Q: What inspired you to create a TCG?

A: Me and my grandmother used to play war, the game where you split the 52 card deck then compare the number to see who wins.  So at age 16 I started this game in memory of when we played war.  Even though Guardians of Dreamstate TCG isn't really much like war at all now, it still gives me fond memories everytime I play 


Q: What TCGs did you grow up playing as a kid?

A: Started with Pokemon, then I went really big into magic the gathering and Yu-Gi-Oh.  I've always been a fan of tcgs, I even have some other tcgs like digimon, and zatch bell


Q: What sets Guardians of Dreamstate apart from other TCGs?

A: So don't get me wrong, I love tcgs, but I've had some complaints about the mechanics of some of them.  So I tried to make sure while building GoDTcg I brought something unique to the table and solve those issues I had with tcgs!


Issue 1) my opponent is taking wayyyyy to long on their turn.

Solution 1) I made the game use a same turn mechanic so both players are actively playing all times


Issue 2) mana drought/flood

Solution 2) each turn both players can play 1 unit, and units have mana that can be exhausted to cast spells. This way the mana is already something that will be on the board, rather than its own card.


Issue 3). That cards super broken

Solution 3) I developed a card builder, so I can easily create cards without having to ask"is this fair?" I can know that everything followed the proper scales.  This will also help me keep all cards relevant, since power creep won't be built in forcing players to buy new sets.


Q: How long have you been working on the game?

A: I've been working on this game since 2010, I never had the funding for the art until recently so i started working on making my dream come true 


Q: How did you come up with the name Guardians of Dreamstate?

A: The name stems from the lore of the game, in Guardians of Dreamstate lore 


Q:  What is the illustration/design process like?

A: I have been focusing on anime/realism art, and I find artists that fit the style of art I want for each card. This game does span amongst many dimensions, so I also use more than one type of art style


Q: When will the game officially be released?

A: Right now I'm selling alpha starter decks and boosters, official release is planned for early 2023


Q: What are your future plans for Guardians of Dreamstate?

A: I plan on developing a new season so 180 cards every year!  I plan to incorporate plenty of new mechanics and card strategies, but I really focus on making sure season 1 will still be usable even years down the road.


Q: Do you have any advice for someone looking to make their own TCG?

A: I would say just start playing games in general, and don't worry about art until the end.  It's always best to make sure you have a fun functioning game before you worry about art.


And also one other side note, I will be selling this game as an expandable tcg.

So what I mean by that, I'll be selling starter decks that come with the cards standard print.

Then boosters that contain: standard Holo/ full art and all sorts of beauties.

Then I'll also sell set boxes, each season has 2 sets. Each set is 90 cards.  A set box contains 1 copy of each card from a set in standard print.

I'll be selling it like this so that nobody will be stuck unable to get the card they want because of a crazy price. Like what Yu-Gi-Oh does every new set


For more, follow @guardiansofdreamstatetcg on Instagram














Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

TCG Interview #90: Ward (Part 2)

I did a follow-up interview with Ward TCG, here are their answers to my questions! Q:  What’s new with Ward TCG since our previous interview? A: A lot has happened in the year since our last interview. Ward has hosted a dozen tournaments with great turnouts, lots of action, and many new players.    We have attended several conventions with the most recent being the HUGE Midwest gaming Classic in Milwaukee WI. The original actors from resident Evil 1 video game hung out at our booth for a while and were enamored with Ward.    We are in about 2 dozen stores, including a partnership with a Midwest convenience store chain “Luckey Seven”. They fell in love with Ward and have begun to spread it in their 37 stores across the Midwest.    We were invited to be on several interviews with ABC News. They also loved Ward and wanted to help promote an upcoming tournament we had in Minneapolis MN at that time. Being on Live TV was very nerve racking. We were also hosted by PBS for a short segment cal

TCG Interview #12: Neo Gambit

 I spoke with the creator of Neo Gambit- here are his answers to my questions: Q: Please describe your trading card game! A: NeoGambit is a fast paced and easy to play deck building combat TCG. Q: What inspired you to create a TCG? A: This came from a dream. I woke up from a nap and had dreamt of this fun TCG, reminded me of how much fun I had as a kid play card games. As a kid I spent hours playing games, but mostly alone, a lot of rules and effects for cards were off putting to others around me. So from my dream, NeoGambit was birthed. A simple fun TCG that literally anyone can play. Q: What TCGs did you grow up playing as a kid? A: My earliest memories are intertwined with TCGs, there wasn’t a moment in my childhood that I didn’t collect cards. Yugioh and Pokémon have been in my life as long as I can remember. I collected both Pokémon and yugioh for over 15 years. I also collected other TCGs over the years, my favorite being chaotic, I’d say that’s where most inspiration for the gam

TCG Interview #9: Nexvs

 I spoke with the creator of Nexvs- here are his answers to my questions: Q: Please describe your trading card game! A:  Nexvs Card Game is a two-player game designed to be compact, portable and fast paced but at the same time holds enough  strategic depth to have great games every time! In this game you will only need your 50-card deck, no extra deck, counters   or dice. The game board is easy to catch up and you can learn the rules in no time! With a space fantasy theme, through  Nexvs we will be able to explore many worlds, stories and characters!   Q: What inspired you to create a TCG? A: I've always liked to imagine sci-fi and fantasy stories since I was younger, so I began writing my own stories for fun!  Eventually I wanted to tell those stories through comics and games, but inside me there was a hidden passion for card  games that I didn't know about! My first inspiration was probably Digimon, but the 1999 card game through Digimon Tamers.  I wanted to make them just tr