Skip to main content

TCG Interview #22: Mere Mortals

 I spoke with the creator of Mere Mortals- here are his answers to my questions:

Q: Please describe your trading card game!
A: The Mere Mortals Trading Card Game (MMTCG) is a beatdown, deck-building game based on the characters and mythology of the Mere Mortals Saga, a dark-fantasy series of novels written by myself, the game’s creator, John Andrew Myers. If you like brutal cardboard combat, with a multitude of fighting styles to build your strategy around to decimate your foe, as well as an ever changing meta landscape, you might like our game. A sort of fucked up sense of humor wouldn’t hurt, either. 

Q: What inspired you to create a TCG?
2. I’ve always been fascinated and enthralled by TCGs. In high school I was obsessed with playing the Dragonball Z CCG (the one from the early aughts, not the Super game that’s out now) with my friends. Every time we saw each other, we knew what we would be doing, and it never got old. When I began writing the Mere Mortals series, I knew I wanted to expand into games in the future, if at all possible. The first book was released in December, 2019, meaning four months later everything was shut down, leaving me ample time to not only write the second book, but catch up on my gaming. On a whim I tried my girlfriend’s Pokemon game, Sword and Shield. It was my first Pokemon game, and it was a blast! I poured hundreds of hours into that thing. I even got into 2 on 2 online competitive, finding I loved the combat mechanics. Then one day I realized how closely the typing in Pokemon was to an element in the Mere Mortals story, something called an “Eve Shade”. It just sort of clicked. I bought scissors, card stock, and colored markers the next day.

Q: What TCGs did you grow up playing as a kid?
3. Even though I had many early Magic packs and way too many Pokemon cards before high school, I never really had anyone to play those games with, so I mostly just collected those. It wasn’t until I played the Dragonball Z CCG my freshman year in 2001 that I found a game I not only loved and wanted to get better at, but also had friends who wanted to do the same. We played it until the game basically suffocated itself while trying to transition over to Dragonball GT a few years later. But it was fun while it lasted.

Q: What sets Mere Mortals apart from other TCGs?
A: Myself and the game’s co-creator, c.b. Strul, worked hard to make sure our game plays smoothly and has a strong core on which to build upon, ensuring it can last well into the future, and will only get better with age. We also made sure to eliminate the “mana problem” from our game entirely. YOU DO NOT PAY COSTS TO PLAY CARDS IN THE MMTCG. I think this helps set our combat system apart. As far as theming and design, the world of Mere Mortals is a dark and brutal one, and the game reflects that. Our card illustrations will feature more violence and gore than most people are probably used to (gasp!) as well as occasional nudity and a sizable amount of generally smart-assed debauchery.

Q: How long have you been working on the game?
5. I began designing it in early April 2020. Shortly thereafter, I pitched it to c.b.. Thankfully, he liked the idea enough to come on board. It’s been a fun and challenging two and a half years.

Q: How did you come up with the name Mere Mortals?
A: Just going off the books.

Q: What is the illustration/design process like?
A: C.b. and I design each card off of a moment or element from the Mere Mortals story. Once we have the idea of the card power and what the image should be, I will go try my best at the initial rough sketch. Luckily, my amazing girlfriend lent me a digital drawing pad, and I got the hang of it pretty quick, so the process was able to move a lot faster than if I had used traditional media. My stuff is fine, but I’m not a formally trained artist, and we can’t wait to pay “real” artists for gnarly card illustrations in the future. For now, however, while we’re in development, all of our set 1 cards (other than a few promo cards) feature rough art by myself. Many images even have my artist notes scribbled all over them. Hopefully people will find this more charming and less tacky while we find our footing.

Q: When will the game be officially released?
A: We are hoping to develop series 1, called “Beginnings”, and attain funding in 2023, whether via crowdfunding or, if necessary, armed assault of the U.S. mint, where we’ll regrettably learn that they do not make the bills there, only coins, and bags of those are hard to run away speedily with. Book 2 of the Mere Mortals Saga is set to be released in early 2024, and c.b. and I would love it if the game could be officially released around the same time.

Q: What are your future plans for Mere Mortals?
A: The plan is to keep the books as ahead of the card game as possible, so people can familiarize themselves with the lore and get excited for how the new elements will be featured. That was always my favorite part of playing the DBZ CCG: the anticipation of the new sets, which we knew would include our favorite characters and moments from the show. The world of Mere Mortals is large, and most of it is not revealed in the first book, which leaves lots of room for the game to grow. For example, in series 1, we have five “Shades” for players to choose from, or five fighting styles. In the books, however, there are more than five Shades, and the others will be released in the game down the road via expansions. It would be as if Magic added new colors to their roster.

Q: Do you have any advice for someone looking to make their own TCG?
A: Nothing that I’m sure they haven’t read before. It really is about play testing the heck out of it, and then play testing some more. If I could add anything, I guess I would say to first focus on concept. If you don’t have a strong foundation, like a new-but-beautifully-simple gameplay mechanic, or a unique and eye-grabbing design element, then getting started may be difficult, which often leads to the abandonment of projects. The beginning is the hardest part, so save the time and money and gray hairs and wait until you’ve had a decent “Aha!” moment (or two) before diving into something. Once you’ve got your heading, just keep going.

For more, follow @meremortalstcg on Instagram and check out https://www.meremortalssaga.com










Comments

Popular posts from this blog

TCG Interview #90: Ward (Part 2)

I did a follow-up interview with Ward TCG, here are their answers to my questions! Q:  What’s new with Ward TCG since our previous interview? A: A lot has happened in the year since our last interview. Ward has hosted a dozen tournaments with great turnouts, lots of action, and many new players.    We have attended several conventions with the most recent being the HUGE Midwest gaming Classic in Milwaukee WI. The original actors from resident Evil 1 video game hung out at our booth for a while and were enamored with Ward.    We are in about 2 dozen stores, including a partnership with a Midwest convenience store chain “Luckey Seven”. They fell in love with Ward and have begun to spread it in their 37 stores across the Midwest.    We were invited to be on several interviews with ABC News. They also loved Ward and wanted to help promote an upcoming tournament we had in Minneapolis MN at that time. Being on Live TV was very nerve racking. We were also hosted by PBS for a short segment cal

TCG Interview #12: Neo Gambit

 I spoke with the creator of Neo Gambit- here are his answers to my questions: Q: Please describe your trading card game! A: NeoGambit is a fast paced and easy to play deck building combat TCG. Q: What inspired you to create a TCG? A: This came from a dream. I woke up from a nap and had dreamt of this fun TCG, reminded me of how much fun I had as a kid play card games. As a kid I spent hours playing games, but mostly alone, a lot of rules and effects for cards were off putting to others around me. So from my dream, NeoGambit was birthed. A simple fun TCG that literally anyone can play. Q: What TCGs did you grow up playing as a kid? A: My earliest memories are intertwined with TCGs, there wasn’t a moment in my childhood that I didn’t collect cards. Yugioh and Pokémon have been in my life as long as I can remember. I collected both Pokémon and yugioh for over 15 years. I also collected other TCGs over the years, my favorite being chaotic, I’d say that’s where most inspiration for the gam

TCG Interview #9: Nexvs

 I spoke with the creator of Nexvs- here are his answers to my questions: Q: Please describe your trading card game! A:  Nexvs Card Game is a two-player game designed to be compact, portable and fast paced but at the same time holds enough  strategic depth to have great games every time! In this game you will only need your 50-card deck, no extra deck, counters   or dice. The game board is easy to catch up and you can learn the rules in no time! With a space fantasy theme, through  Nexvs we will be able to explore many worlds, stories and characters!   Q: What inspired you to create a TCG? A: I've always liked to imagine sci-fi and fantasy stories since I was younger, so I began writing my own stories for fun!  Eventually I wanted to tell those stories through comics and games, but inside me there was a hidden passion for card  games that I didn't know about! My first inspiration was probably Digimon, but the 1999 card game through Digimon Tamers.  I wanted to make them just tr