Skip to main content

TCG Interview #26: Backrooms

 I spoke with the creator of Backrooms TCG- here are his answers to my questions:


Q: Please describe your trading card game!

A: The Backrooms TCG a solitaire trading card game that puts you into the internet’s

famous backrooms. You must navigate different rooms and collect items to defeat

entities. The main goal is to find a Painite Gem in order to access an escape point.

Q: What inspired you to create a TCG?

A: I wanted to create a card game that I could play like solitaire, but with a trading card

aspect. As a TCG collector, the collecting aspect of a card game is half the fun. Pokémon

is my favorite to collect and playing it was always difficult for me because I am a much

older collector. When going to my local TCG shops the crowd playing always seem

young and it was hard to find players my age. Times have changed and older players are

found everywhere, but I got used to playing online.

Q: What TCGs did you grow up playing as a kid?

A: Pokémon is what started it all for me. I had been a huge Pokémon fan prior to the card

game. I had spent a lot of money on Burger King Kid’s meals to get the complete set of

Pokémon toys, thankfully I did complete it but my wife, who was my girlfriend at the

time, is forever sick of Burger King. I had always seen people playing Magic the

Gathering but it never caught my interest to play, as I was playing D&D a lot more then.

Q: What sets Backrooms apart from other TCGs?

A: There is a lot that separates Backrooms TCG from the rest of the TCG’s out there. When

conceiving ideas for a TCG I knew I didn’t want it to feature cute, evolving creatures. I

also didn’t want it to be Magic and “Dungeons and Dragons” like. I liked the idea of a

horror based TCG but I didn’t want blood and gore to be a part of it, as I wanted kids to

enjoy playing. Then when watching YouTube videos with my kids about the Backrooms,

I knew I found my theme. I loved the suspenseful, creepy theme of the Backrooms.

It took me back to when the internet was first getting viral video and YouTube was just

an endless search of rabbit holes and creepypastas. This was going to be my TCG, a

place you fell into and had to escape. The solitaire aspect is also what separates us. I

have found tutorials of how to play Pokémon solo, and a few TCG that had a solo playing

aspect but I really wanted this to be a TCG you played on your own like solitaire, which I

am a huge fan of. And like solitaire I wanted a lot of card movement and rules that

could create strategies that allow you bend or reverse plays. The Backrooms TCG is a game

I design as a game you can take with you anywhere. Like a regular deck of poker cards, the

Backrooms is small enough to carry, and the gameplay diverse enough for multiple gameplay.

The booster will allow you to collect and design you own Backrooms to carry with you to no-clip

anywhere.

Q: How long have you been working on the game?

A: For about a year now. I started thinking about making a trading card game in January of

this year (2022) but hadn’t found a theme until about March. By May I was

commissioning artist, and creating the rules while at my day job. Since I was a seasoned

solitaire player, I use my love and knowledge of the game to help me built the rules for

Backrooms TCG. The added mechanics came very natural and felt like they should be a

part of gameplay. It was almost like it was creating itself a lot of the time.


Q: How did you come up with the name Backrooms?

A: That was simple I obviously wanted it to have Backrooms in the name to link it with the

online presence, but I did have to think if I wanted to use TCG or CCG. I decided to go

with TCG because it felt more like what I was trying to achieve in a card game. I didn’t

want it to be just a collectable card game, I wanted people to get involved with it and

trading cards. I wanted players to create decks and make them a challenge for other

player to test out.


Q: What is the illustration/design process like?

A: First I do research on the entity or item I am going to make into a card. I don’t have an

artist gift of drawing but I do have over 10 years of Photoshop experience so I use that

to piece together a look from internet picture. I later found Midjourney an AI artist, to

be a great help in concept art. Once a design is visualized I contact an artist and

commission to work. I am a very organic creator and love to let collaborating artist

reflect themselves in art pieces. I rarely ask for revision, only when I think a piece is not

hitting the character correctly will I ask to have an element added. I love seeing an

illustrated piece come through with a different vision.


Q: When will the game be officially released?

A: The timeline for the game is TBD. I have just a few more commissions to assign. I would

really like to have the first issue of the digital comic finished as it is the companion story to

the TCG. The comic will give my original spin on the backrooms.


Q: What are your future plans for Backrooms?

A: I have so many plans. First I want to have starter decks made. I have three in design:

Yellow Deck, Green Deck, and Red Deck. The decks are at different difficulty levels to

make escaping harder. I also have a plan to launch a two player sister game. This game

will put Wanderers against each other and taking control of entities. The digital comic

will really help support the concept, and show how the games are connected.


Q: Do you have any advice for someone looking to make their own TCG?

A: Design a game that you want to play and have fun designing it. We are here to bring a fun game to our community, keep that in your heart.


For more, follow @backroomstcg on Instagram and check out www.backroomstcg.com






















Comments

Popular posts from this blog

TCG Interview #90: Ward (Part 2)

I did a follow-up interview with Ward TCG, here are their answers to my questions! Q:  What’s new with Ward TCG since our previous interview? A: A lot has happened in the year since our last interview. Ward has hosted a dozen tournaments with great turnouts, lots of action, and many new players.    We have attended several conventions with the most recent being the HUGE Midwest gaming Classic in Milwaukee WI. The original actors from resident Evil 1 video game hung out at our booth for a while and were enamored with Ward.    We are in about 2 dozen stores, including a partnership with a Midwest convenience store chain “Luckey Seven”. They fell in love with Ward and have begun to spread it in their 37 stores across the Midwest.    We were invited to be on several interviews with ABC News. They also loved Ward and wanted to help promote an upcoming tournament we had in Minneapolis MN at that time. Being on Live TV was very nerve racking. We were also hosted by PBS for a short segment cal

TCG Interview #12: Neo Gambit

 I spoke with the creator of Neo Gambit- here are his answers to my questions: Q: Please describe your trading card game! A: NeoGambit is a fast paced and easy to play deck building combat TCG. Q: What inspired you to create a TCG? A: This came from a dream. I woke up from a nap and had dreamt of this fun TCG, reminded me of how much fun I had as a kid play card games. As a kid I spent hours playing games, but mostly alone, a lot of rules and effects for cards were off putting to others around me. So from my dream, NeoGambit was birthed. A simple fun TCG that literally anyone can play. Q: What TCGs did you grow up playing as a kid? A: My earliest memories are intertwined with TCGs, there wasn’t a moment in my childhood that I didn’t collect cards. Yugioh and Pokémon have been in my life as long as I can remember. I collected both Pokémon and yugioh for over 15 years. I also collected other TCGs over the years, my favorite being chaotic, I’d say that’s where most inspiration for the gam

TCG Interview #9: Nexvs

 I spoke with the creator of Nexvs- here are his answers to my questions: Q: Please describe your trading card game! A:  Nexvs Card Game is a two-player game designed to be compact, portable and fast paced but at the same time holds enough  strategic depth to have great games every time! In this game you will only need your 50-card deck, no extra deck, counters   or dice. The game board is easy to catch up and you can learn the rules in no time! With a space fantasy theme, through  Nexvs we will be able to explore many worlds, stories and characters!   Q: What inspired you to create a TCG? A: I've always liked to imagine sci-fi and fantasy stories since I was younger, so I began writing my own stories for fun!  Eventually I wanted to tell those stories through comics and games, but inside me there was a hidden passion for card  games that I didn't know about! My first inspiration was probably Digimon, but the 1999 card game through Digimon Tamers.  I wanted to make them just tr