Skip to main content

TCG Interview #35: Universe of Legends

I spoke with the creator of Universe of Legends- here are his answers to my questions:


Q: Please describe your trading card game!

A: Universe of Legends is a card game inspired by some of my favorite card games I’ve played over the

years. The games content and characters are very story drive and has a mix of Fantasy and Sci-fi

elements.


Q: What inspired you to create your own TCG?

A: I’ve always wanted to create my own game, even as a kid I remember trying to make card games and

board games. Wasn’t until after the birth of my daughter I decided I should finally work on something that

I feel others would enjoy but also leave a legacy for her when she gets older.


Q: What TCGs did you grow up playing as a kid?

A: For a long time, I played Yu-Gi-Oh as my main game. Over the years I learned and started to enjoy

other games like Magic, Shadowverse, Hearthstone, Argent Saga, Vanguard, and Marvel Snap.


Q: What sets Universe of Legends apart from other TCGs?

A: Universe of Legends (UoF) shares some popular mechanics from other games, but what sets this

game apart is the representation of characters and the style of responding to gameplay. With a lot of

games created with a high fantasy setting, there isn’t a lot of character representation for characters of

color. I wanted to create a game that had that inclusion, but also educate on some lessor known and

historical figures. Pertaining to the unique gameplay, I created an Action/Reaction deck. This deck of 10

cards is available to the players at all times. This way the players can focus on their deck and strategy

and not worry about having to have a response to a player’s cards or actions.


Q: How did you come up with the name Universe of Legends?

A: The original idea of the game was for every deck to be unique to them. And as they summon units,

they are summoning them from their “Universe”. The core of the deck building is singleton rules. So, all

unique characters or “Legends” are one offs in your universe. So, since every deck is the players unique

universe the everyone is playing with their Universe of Legends”


Q: How long have you been working on the game?

A: The idea for the game took a year to put together. Once I had the base idea for the game and rules

put together, it was easy for everything else to fall into place.


Q: What is the illustration/design process like?

A: So far, it’s been interesting, I’m not an artist myself so most of the art will have to be commission. The

first piece I had done was Marie, who will be a main character in the Universe of Legends story. Since

most of the characters are references to real life figures, it takes time to find good reference photos and

inspiration to change things up to make them heroic and magical.


Q: When will the game officially be released?

A: Right now, I am still in the production phase, I recent put together a simple Table Top Simulator mod to

test out the basic game features. The goal for me would to start really pushing the hype for the game Q3

of this year.


Q: What are your future plans for Universe of Legends?

A: Besides expanding on the card game, I would love to have other media behind the game. Novels, side

games, digital version, and possibly even a show (The story behind the game is very interesting)


Q: Will you be at any upcoming conventions?

A: Not at the moment but I plan to go to some local ones in SC, GA, and NC. Any in the future aim to go

further out west.


Q: Do you have any advice for someone looking to make their own TCG?

A: Don’t give up, everyone’s dream is valid, don’t let your fear of failure stop you from trying. And be

creative!!

For more, follow @universe_of_legends on Instagram




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

TCG Interview #90: Ward (Part 2)

I did a follow-up interview with Ward TCG, here are their answers to my questions! Q:  What’s new with Ward TCG since our previous interview? A: A lot has happened in the year since our last interview. Ward has hosted a dozen tournaments with great turnouts, lots of action, and many new players.    We have attended several conventions with the most recent being the HUGE Midwest gaming Classic in Milwaukee WI. The original actors from resident Evil 1 video game hung out at our booth for a while and were enamored with Ward.    We are in about 2 dozen stores, including a partnership with a Midwest convenience store chain “Luckey Seven”. They fell in love with Ward and have begun to spread it in their 37 stores across the Midwest.    We were invited to be on several interviews with ABC News. They also loved Ward and wanted to help promote an upcoming tournament we had in Minneapolis MN at that time. Being on Live TV was very nerve racking. We were also hosted by PBS for a short segment cal

TCG Interview #12: Neo Gambit

 I spoke with the creator of Neo Gambit- here are his answers to my questions: Q: Please describe your trading card game! A: NeoGambit is a fast paced and easy to play deck building combat TCG. Q: What inspired you to create a TCG? A: This came from a dream. I woke up from a nap and had dreamt of this fun TCG, reminded me of how much fun I had as a kid play card games. As a kid I spent hours playing games, but mostly alone, a lot of rules and effects for cards were off putting to others around me. So from my dream, NeoGambit was birthed. A simple fun TCG that literally anyone can play. Q: What TCGs did you grow up playing as a kid? A: My earliest memories are intertwined with TCGs, there wasn’t a moment in my childhood that I didn’t collect cards. Yugioh and Pokémon have been in my life as long as I can remember. I collected both Pokémon and yugioh for over 15 years. I also collected other TCGs over the years, my favorite being chaotic, I’d say that’s where most inspiration for the gam

TCG Interview #9: Nexvs

 I spoke with the creator of Nexvs- here are his answers to my questions: Q: Please describe your trading card game! A:  Nexvs Card Game is a two-player game designed to be compact, portable and fast paced but at the same time holds enough  strategic depth to have great games every time! In this game you will only need your 50-card deck, no extra deck, counters   or dice. The game board is easy to catch up and you can learn the rules in no time! With a space fantasy theme, through  Nexvs we will be able to explore many worlds, stories and characters!   Q: What inspired you to create a TCG? A: I've always liked to imagine sci-fi and fantasy stories since I was younger, so I began writing my own stories for fun!  Eventually I wanted to tell those stories through comics and games, but inside me there was a hidden passion for card  games that I didn't know about! My first inspiration was probably Digimon, but the 1999 card game through Digimon Tamers.  I wanted to make them just tr