Skip to main content

TCG Interview #38: Shattered Legacy

I spoke with the creator of Shattered Legacy- here are his answers to my questions:

 Q: Please describe your trading card game!

A: Shattered Legacy is a multiversal fantasy-battle trading card game created by Chuck Bailey and myself (Gilbert "Gil" Ortiz ). We seek to combine collectability, gameplay, and impactful storytelling to create a franchise with a constructive and positive community for years to come. You appoint a Domain Master, recruit Vassals, contract supporters to those vassals and cast various spells. You can also disrupt gameplay using powerful action cards and get a constant bonus from blessings.


Q: What inspired you to create your own TCG?

A: Since I was a child I've always wanted to make my own card game. And as an adult, it seemed like there were so many new TCG's, it was honestly discouraging. But the past few years has show a good amount of indie card games getting funded and I figured I would rather try then live my life knowing I never did. When I decided I wanted to make a card game I told my friends and Chuck was the first one to say "I'm down! Let's do it!".


Q: What TCGs did you grow up playing as a kid?

A: Out of the big 3, I would say, I enjoyed playing Yu-Gi-Oh!, I collected Pokémon, and I liked MTG cards, but never owned any. 


Q: What sets Shattered Legacy apart from other TCGs?

A: 1 unique thing about SLTCG is the battle system. Most of the battles are "Vassal on Vassal" combat, but once you've cleared the opponents field you can either attack their Domain Master. When Domain Masters are destroyed the controller loses half their Life Points (no matter what the number is). So there is always a chance you can make a comeback on the next turn even if its not looking like you will win. If they don't have a Domain Master or any Vassals, you can attack their Life Points Directly.


Q: How did you come up with the name Shattered Legacy?

A: Well believe it or not, when we started out (before we went public on socials) we were working with a different name entirely, but at the time, a set for another TCG was released and it had the same name, so to avoid confusion we changed it to Shattered Legacy. The name came from the premise of the story, where the fabric of the multiverse gets "shattered", causing an infinite amount of universes to converge and clash with each other. Also a big reason for me starting this game was wanting to be remembered for something after I die. I want this to become my "Legacy". 


Q: How long have you been working on the game?

A: Its been an idea for a long time, but actually working on it, I'd say about a year. (We went live on socials in June of 2022)


Q: What is the illustration/design process like?

A: Basically I brainstorm ideas with my Loremaster Chuck, from there we get a rough idea of what the illustration needs to be. Then we will give the artist their prompt for the peice(s), pay them and provide references or sketches to help them out if they need it. 


Q: What are your future plans for Shattered Legacy?

A: We have a lot planned. Concerning the TCG, our first base set is set to launch at the end of the year, and after that we have almost a dozen main sets and side sets planned after the base set, each additional set adding to the story and adding more characters and playstyles. 

My personal goal is to have the 2nd and 3rd sets at least 90% complete before launching the first main set. 


On the literary side, we have book coming out alongside our base set. It will be 200+ pages. We will release them chapter by chapter at first (first chapter is in hand and shipping Feb. 2023) and then after the 10 illustrated chapters are finished we will compile them into 1 book. 


We have various Games planned as well. I have a 2d sidescrolling platform I am currently working on, Chuck has a 2d jrpg style game he wants to create and ultimately we want a souls-like game as well as a dedicated online virtual client (although those are years away).


Q: Will you be at any upcoming conventions?

A: We will definitely be at every Collect-A-Con this year. We are also considering Twin Cities Con and Pax Unplugged if our schedule allows it.


Q: Do you have any advice for someone looking to make their own TCG?

A: Well, advice would be prepared to spend a lot of money and make sure you have people helping you out. I know I couldn't do all of this without Chuck and Jheo helping me when I get stuck on an idea.  


For more, check out @shatteredlegacytcg on Instagram













Comments

Popular posts from this blog

TCG Interview #90: Ward (Part 2)

I did a follow-up interview with Ward TCG, here are their answers to my questions! Q:  What’s new with Ward TCG since our previous interview? A: A lot has happened in the year since our last interview. Ward has hosted a dozen tournaments with great turnouts, lots of action, and many new players.    We have attended several conventions with the most recent being the HUGE Midwest gaming Classic in Milwaukee WI. The original actors from resident Evil 1 video game hung out at our booth for a while and were enamored with Ward.    We are in about 2 dozen stores, including a partnership with a Midwest convenience store chain “Luckey Seven”. They fell in love with Ward and have begun to spread it in their 37 stores across the Midwest.    We were invited to be on several interviews with ABC News. They also loved Ward and wanted to help promote an upcoming tournament we had in Minneapolis MN at that time. Being on Live TV was very nerve racking. We were also hosted by PBS for a short segment cal

TCG Interview #12: Neo Gambit

 I spoke with the creator of Neo Gambit- here are his answers to my questions: Q: Please describe your trading card game! A: NeoGambit is a fast paced and easy to play deck building combat TCG. Q: What inspired you to create a TCG? A: This came from a dream. I woke up from a nap and had dreamt of this fun TCG, reminded me of how much fun I had as a kid play card games. As a kid I spent hours playing games, but mostly alone, a lot of rules and effects for cards were off putting to others around me. So from my dream, NeoGambit was birthed. A simple fun TCG that literally anyone can play. Q: What TCGs did you grow up playing as a kid? A: My earliest memories are intertwined with TCGs, there wasn’t a moment in my childhood that I didn’t collect cards. Yugioh and Pokémon have been in my life as long as I can remember. I collected both Pokémon and yugioh for over 15 years. I also collected other TCGs over the years, my favorite being chaotic, I’d say that’s where most inspiration for the gam

TCG Interview #9: Nexvs

 I spoke with the creator of Nexvs- here are his answers to my questions: Q: Please describe your trading card game! A:  Nexvs Card Game is a two-player game designed to be compact, portable and fast paced but at the same time holds enough  strategic depth to have great games every time! In this game you will only need your 50-card deck, no extra deck, counters   or dice. The game board is easy to catch up and you can learn the rules in no time! With a space fantasy theme, through  Nexvs we will be able to explore many worlds, stories and characters!   Q: What inspired you to create a TCG? A: I've always liked to imagine sci-fi and fantasy stories since I was younger, so I began writing my own stories for fun!  Eventually I wanted to tell those stories through comics and games, but inside me there was a hidden passion for card  games that I didn't know about! My first inspiration was probably Digimon, but the 1999 card game through Digimon Tamers.  I wanted to make them just tr