Skip to main content

TCG Interview #39: Skyscape

I spoke with the creator of Skyscape- here are his answers to my questions:

 Q: Please describe your trading card game!

A: Skyscape is your classic battle Trading Card Game, but with a twist! The main Resource of the game is Life, and each card that you play has a Life Cost! This makes gameplay more strategic, as you'll always be wondering what to play and how to manage your own Life Total, while also taking damage from other players! It gets especially interesting once each player is at about 10 Life or less!


Q: What inspired you to create your own TCG?

A: I started drawing ever since I could remember, and I grew up watching shows like Yu-Gi-Oh! and Pokémon, so I was interested at a young age to play card games. I picked up Magic the Gathering and Dungeons and Dragons, too, where I learned to really appreciate fantasy and different stories. It all peaked when I discovered a group called the Homemade TCG Community on YouTube, and a card game called Chaos Galaxy. The creator started making his own card game from scratch, and I figured "Why not do the same?" The rest is history.


Q: What TCGs did you grow up playing as a kid?

A: Schoolyard Yu-Gi-Oh! and a little bit of Magic the Gathering. I had my older brother help teach me, and I loved everything about the games!


Q: What sets Skyscape apart from other TCGs?

A: The Life Cost mechanic. I've seen several TCGs do something similar. Magic has Phyrexian Mana, and several other games use Life as a secondary resource, but I've never seen a game that features Life as the main resource and what you use to play your cards. I thought it would be an epic spin on traditional TCGs, and after much head scratching and brainstorming I was able to flesh the idea out and create the Skyscape that we all know today! 


Q: How did you come up with the name Skyscape?

A: The original name came from an old Dungeons and Dragons style group I made as a kid. I was toying around with popular names I liked from games. I wanted it to be simple, and for some reason I kept going to "Skyrim" as a popular name I loved. I just loved the "Sky" part of it. I thought about why I loved the word Sky, and what the sky meant to me. It could be beautiful, vast, and captivating. It was an ocean of clouds and wonder right above the horizon. And then it hit me. There was the landscape, so why couldn't there be a "skyscape" too? I toyed around with the word, repeating it over and over again. I loved it. Ever since, I kept the name Skyscape close, and now I use it for not only the Trading Card Game "Skyscape", but for the entire fantasy world it's set in. For Skyscape!


Q: How long have you been working on the game?

A: I started making Skyscape cards back in 2016, and have been working on them ever since!


Q: What is the illustration/design process like?

A: It's a very tedious and intricate process, but above all else, it's fun! I spend hours each day drawing different designs and artworks. I recently started using a drawing tablet, which has helped out tons! However, I'll always prefer using pen and ink. I like the traditional method the most! As for designing the templates and creating new cards, that's all thanks to Photoshop! I love using the differ layers to edit and tweak designs when needed. From there, it's all about printing them off using The Game Crafter, and getting the new cards out into the world!


Q: What are your future plans for Skyscape?

A: Skyscape will always be a Trading Card Game and a world of its own. There's vast stories, places to go, and things to do in the world of Skyscape. The Trading Card Game reflects that, and future sets will be made to showcase these stories. The first set of cards is being released in March, and there's more to come soon! I'm hoping that someday Skyscape will become as popular as other games like Magic and Yu-Gi-Oh!


Q: Will you be at any upcoming conventions?

A: I don't have any set plans to go to upcoming conventions just yet, but once I'm ready to, expect to see Skyscape frequently!


Q: Do you have any advice for someone looking to make their own TCG?

A: Always keep trying. The first version, second, and third can always change to become something even better. Don't be afraid to ask for feedback or constructive criticisms. It takes time to create anything, and you'll find yourself picking up things that work, and things that don't. The most important part is to learn at every step along the way. Get friends to check out what you're making. Be a part of a community, like the Homemade Trading Card Game community, and reach out to others who have experience for advice and help. And like many great artists have said before me, practice, practice, practice!
















Comments

Popular posts from this blog

TCG Interview #90: Ward (Part 2)

I did a follow-up interview with Ward TCG, here are their answers to my questions! Q:  What’s new with Ward TCG since our previous interview? A: A lot has happened in the year since our last interview. Ward has hosted a dozen tournaments with great turnouts, lots of action, and many new players.    We have attended several conventions with the most recent being the HUGE Midwest gaming Classic in Milwaukee WI. The original actors from resident Evil 1 video game hung out at our booth for a while and were enamored with Ward.    We are in about 2 dozen stores, including a partnership with a Midwest convenience store chain “Luckey Seven”. They fell in love with Ward and have begun to spread it in their 37 stores across the Midwest.    We were invited to be on several interviews with ABC News. They also loved Ward and wanted to help promote an upcoming tournament we had in Minneapolis MN at that time. Being on Live TV was very nerve racking. We were also hosted by PBS for a short segment cal

TCG Interview #12: Neo Gambit

 I spoke with the creator of Neo Gambit- here are his answers to my questions: Q: Please describe your trading card game! A: NeoGambit is a fast paced and easy to play deck building combat TCG. Q: What inspired you to create a TCG? A: This came from a dream. I woke up from a nap and had dreamt of this fun TCG, reminded me of how much fun I had as a kid play card games. As a kid I spent hours playing games, but mostly alone, a lot of rules and effects for cards were off putting to others around me. So from my dream, NeoGambit was birthed. A simple fun TCG that literally anyone can play. Q: What TCGs did you grow up playing as a kid? A: My earliest memories are intertwined with TCGs, there wasn’t a moment in my childhood that I didn’t collect cards. Yugioh and Pokémon have been in my life as long as I can remember. I collected both Pokémon and yugioh for over 15 years. I also collected other TCGs over the years, my favorite being chaotic, I’d say that’s where most inspiration for the gam

TCG Interview #9: Nexvs

 I spoke with the creator of Nexvs- here are his answers to my questions: Q: Please describe your trading card game! A:  Nexvs Card Game is a two-player game designed to be compact, portable and fast paced but at the same time holds enough  strategic depth to have great games every time! In this game you will only need your 50-card deck, no extra deck, counters   or dice. The game board is easy to catch up and you can learn the rules in no time! With a space fantasy theme, through  Nexvs we will be able to explore many worlds, stories and characters!   Q: What inspired you to create a TCG? A: I've always liked to imagine sci-fi and fantasy stories since I was younger, so I began writing my own stories for fun!  Eventually I wanted to tell those stories through comics and games, but inside me there was a hidden passion for card  games that I didn't know about! My first inspiration was probably Digimon, but the 1999 card game through Digimon Tamers.  I wanted to make them just tr