Skip to main content

TCG Interview #40: MonTac

I spoke with the creator of MonTac- here are his answers to my questions:


Q: Please describe your trading card game!

A: MonTac TCG is a trading card game where players roll a die at the start of their turn to decide what cards they can play. The

game allows players to play around the luck aspect without taking away from the skill of dealing with an unlucky roll.


Q: What inspired you to create your own TCG?

A: Insipration came from growing up in a household where most card games were banned and the rest being too complicated for those who lived with us were to join in. We realised there had to be away for a traditional trading card game to be family friendly and player friendly without losingwhat makes it skillful. From that point, MonTac was born.

Q: What TCGs did you grow up playing as a kid?

A: I started off as a Yugioh Player however towards High School I had a lot more fun playing Cardfight Vanguard.

Q: What sets MonTac apart from other TCGs?

A: MonTac is a family friendly card game with a simple premise that should allow even your parents to join in on the fun. Cards are written to not be too complicated while allowing competitive players to come up with their own ways to play. As previously mentioned, we use dice to decide what you can play which always gives an unpredictability to each turn that other games may not always have.

Overall though, what sets us apart is our dedication to player friendly gameplay. We have worked very hard to try and create a game that would allow satisfying mechanics and interesting interactions without leaving players frustrated.

Q: How did you come up with the name MonTac?

A: This is a bit of a funny one. When I was younger the name for this game was “The monster tactical game” since it had both monsters and tacticals (weapons). However we later shortened it to MonTac for simplicity. Of course, the alternative “TacMon” definitely would not have gone well haha.


Q: How long have you been working on the game?

A: We have been developing this game since 2009 with its current version emerging in 2018.

Q: What is the illustration/design process like?

A: Currently we have multiple artists for the game that we hire on a card by card basis. Generally we have an idea of what the monster needs to look like and then contact one of our artists for a timeframe and fee etc. Of course we do make sure all artwork is family friendly as per the game’s values.

Q: What are your future plans for MonTac?

A: As any creator, I would love to see this game in every card store or local shopping centre. However, when it comes to MonTac, if we’re able to make even a single household happy with our game, I’ll feel like we did something great.

Q: Will you be at any upcoming conventions?

A: We are always on the lookout for conventions, however there are far less in our corner of the world, Australia.

Q: Do you have any advice for someone looking to make their

own TCG?

A: While interacting with a lot of other creators, we get this question a lot especially with “How have you kept going all these years?”. Quite honestly the answer to both is the same. Passion. Make sure your passion is real for what you are creating. There needs to be a driving factor, something that keeps you up at 3am in the morning and wakes you up at 5am. As long as you truly love what you are creating and know your purpose, you will make it.

For more, follow @montaccards on Instagram and check out https://montactcg.wixsite.com/montac-tcg





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

TCG Interview #90: Ward (Part 2)

I did a follow-up interview with Ward TCG, here are their answers to my questions! Q:  What’s new with Ward TCG since our previous interview? A: A lot has happened in the year since our last interview. Ward has hosted a dozen tournaments with great turnouts, lots of action, and many new players.    We have attended several conventions with the most recent being the HUGE Midwest gaming Classic in Milwaukee WI. The original actors from resident Evil 1 video game hung out at our booth for a while and were enamored with Ward.    We are in about 2 dozen stores, including a partnership with a Midwest convenience store chain “Luckey Seven”. They fell in love with Ward and have begun to spread it in their 37 stores across the Midwest.    We were invited to be on several interviews with ABC News. They also loved Ward and wanted to help promote an upcoming tournament we had in Minneapolis MN at that time. Being on Live TV was very nerve racking. We were also hosted by PBS for a short segment cal

TCG Interview #12: Neo Gambit

 I spoke with the creator of Neo Gambit- here are his answers to my questions: Q: Please describe your trading card game! A: NeoGambit is a fast paced and easy to play deck building combat TCG. Q: What inspired you to create a TCG? A: This came from a dream. I woke up from a nap and had dreamt of this fun TCG, reminded me of how much fun I had as a kid play card games. As a kid I spent hours playing games, but mostly alone, a lot of rules and effects for cards were off putting to others around me. So from my dream, NeoGambit was birthed. A simple fun TCG that literally anyone can play. Q: What TCGs did you grow up playing as a kid? A: My earliest memories are intertwined with TCGs, there wasn’t a moment in my childhood that I didn’t collect cards. Yugioh and Pokémon have been in my life as long as I can remember. I collected both Pokémon and yugioh for over 15 years. I also collected other TCGs over the years, my favorite being chaotic, I’d say that’s where most inspiration for the gam

TCG Interview #9: Nexvs

 I spoke with the creator of Nexvs- here are his answers to my questions: Q: Please describe your trading card game! A:  Nexvs Card Game is a two-player game designed to be compact, portable and fast paced but at the same time holds enough  strategic depth to have great games every time! In this game you will only need your 50-card deck, no extra deck, counters   or dice. The game board is easy to catch up and you can learn the rules in no time! With a space fantasy theme, through  Nexvs we will be able to explore many worlds, stories and characters!   Q: What inspired you to create a TCG? A: I've always liked to imagine sci-fi and fantasy stories since I was younger, so I began writing my own stories for fun!  Eventually I wanted to tell those stories through comics and games, but inside me there was a hidden passion for card  games that I didn't know about! My first inspiration was probably Digimon, but the 1999 card game through Digimon Tamers.  I wanted to make them just tr