Skip to main content

BG Interview #1: Legions- Fantasy Board Game

I spoke with the creator of Legions- Fantasy Board Game! Here are his answers to my questions:

Q: Please describe your game!

A: Our game is a war-like strategy game similar to a RTS video game, but done on a grad base system on the board. In which your TCG style deck helps aid your units, and officers on the game board which is called the battle field. 


Q: What inspired you to create your own game?

A: This game spawned off another TCG project that I was helping a few years back. It fell apart with the team behind it, and in which I decided later with a former partner of that previous game to create this one.  


Q: What games did you grow up playing as a kid?

A: A lot of RTS, TCGs, and JRPGs. To name off a few StarCraft, Command & Conquer, Morrowind, Skyrim, Yugioh, Pokémon, all the final fantasy games, and Star Ocean games as well. I mean it’s too long to list but those are a few. 


Q: What sets Legions apart from other games?

A: It’s the fact you can control so many units at once like an army that can move around. Up to 15 units, in addition to 3 officers making a total of 18 units you can control on the board, which if you play a four player game, it can end up with over 50 tokens on the battlefield at once. 


Q: How long have you been working on Legions?

A: A little over two years now, we still do minor tweaks to the rule book, and are looking at a card game option of the game that does not include the game board with all the tokens for players who want something easier to manage. 


Q: How did you come up with the name Legions?

A: Never been asked this one, it was originally the project name that just became the actual game name. 


Q: What is the illustration/design process for the game?

A: It was a rather long process to get the look of the game we wanted, but even then we always will want to improve on it. Plus we were so lucky to have a team of 11 artists to help out create all the characters you see in the game. 


Q: When will the game officially be released?

A: As of right now we are looking into crowdfunding options, but if we don’t like the options presented. We will release a beta version of the game via game crafter for those who want to try out the game. 


Q: What are your future plans for the Legions?

A: We have plans for future sets of the game, as well multiple game modes. The game will eventually be a hybrid game concept, where you purchase a deck of cards to be used for the board game or a card game format or even be issuable in a TTRPG setting which we are aiming for the game to really be in the long run.


Q: Do you have any advice for someone looking to make their own game?

A: It's an incredibly hard task to not only create your own game, but to find the funding, to create a community that follows it, and to take all the criticisms that come to it. Make sure you really think about all these things, and more before trying to presume this kind of dream. In the end the cost of it can put you in a bad place in life. 


For more, follow @lfantasybg on Instagram and check out https://linktr.ee/legionfantasy













Comments

Popular posts from this blog

TCG Interview #90: Ward (Part 2)

I did a follow-up interview with Ward TCG, here are their answers to my questions! Q:  What’s new with Ward TCG since our previous interview? A: A lot has happened in the year since our last interview. Ward has hosted a dozen tournaments with great turnouts, lots of action, and many new players.    We have attended several conventions with the most recent being the HUGE Midwest gaming Classic in Milwaukee WI. The original actors from resident Evil 1 video game hung out at our booth for a while and were enamored with Ward.    We are in about 2 dozen stores, including a partnership with a Midwest convenience store chain “Luckey Seven”. They fell in love with Ward and have begun to spread it in their 37 stores across the Midwest.    We were invited to be on several interviews with ABC News. They also loved Ward and wanted to help promote an upcoming tournament we had in Minneapolis MN at that time. Being on Live TV was very nerve racking. We were also hosted by PBS for a short segment cal

TCG Interview #12: Neo Gambit

 I spoke with the creator of Neo Gambit- here are his answers to my questions: Q: Please describe your trading card game! A: NeoGambit is a fast paced and easy to play deck building combat TCG. Q: What inspired you to create a TCG? A: This came from a dream. I woke up from a nap and had dreamt of this fun TCG, reminded me of how much fun I had as a kid play card games. As a kid I spent hours playing games, but mostly alone, a lot of rules and effects for cards were off putting to others around me. So from my dream, NeoGambit was birthed. A simple fun TCG that literally anyone can play. Q: What TCGs did you grow up playing as a kid? A: My earliest memories are intertwined with TCGs, there wasn’t a moment in my childhood that I didn’t collect cards. Yugioh and Pokémon have been in my life as long as I can remember. I collected both Pokémon and yugioh for over 15 years. I also collected other TCGs over the years, my favorite being chaotic, I’d say that’s where most inspiration for the gam

TCG Interview #9: Nexvs

 I spoke with the creator of Nexvs- here are his answers to my questions: Q: Please describe your trading card game! A:  Nexvs Card Game is a two-player game designed to be compact, portable and fast paced but at the same time holds enough  strategic depth to have great games every time! In this game you will only need your 50-card deck, no extra deck, counters   or dice. The game board is easy to catch up and you can learn the rules in no time! With a space fantasy theme, through  Nexvs we will be able to explore many worlds, stories and characters!   Q: What inspired you to create a TCG? A: I've always liked to imagine sci-fi and fantasy stories since I was younger, so I began writing my own stories for fun!  Eventually I wanted to tell those stories through comics and games, but inside me there was a hidden passion for card  games that I didn't know about! My first inspiration was probably Digimon, but the 1999 card game through Digimon Tamers.  I wanted to make them just tr