Skip to main content

TCG Community Interview #3: @metacosmic_quest

I spoke with @metacosmic_quest, a member of the TCG community! Here are his answers to my questions: 




Q: What was the first TCG you ever collected or played?
A: Actually I remember my first card. A pokemon base set Holo suicune given to me by my neighbor at around 5 years old. I still have it. And while pokemon was the first I played, I quickly switched to playing Yu-Gi-Oh. Pokemon has always been my main collection though.

Q: Which TCGs do you currently collect/play?
A: Well playing competitively it's currently Metazoo only. But I've dabbled in Krytik and, naturally, I play BackroomsTCG as well. 

Q: What's your favorite card in your collection?
A: That's a tough one because I have so many TCGs I collect. I even have Club Penguin Cards ๐Ÿ˜‚ but my favorite card from my entire TCG collection? If I HAVE to choose one overall, it would probably be my base set Articuno. Heavily Played in condition and it's unlimited print, but it was easily my favorite card growing up for no other reason then I liked the art and the card itself. Articuno is far from my favorite pokemon even at that time ๐Ÿ˜‚ it was Moltres actually until ChimChar came along

Q: What's your favorite TCG to play?
A: MetaZoo for sure. The judges can get on my nerves because they definitely make some interesting rule decisions to "balance" gameplay, but overall I absolutely love the game and it's the first game I've ever played competitively. 

Q: Which part of the hobby do you enjoy more, collecting or playing, and why?
A: Collecting but that's mostly because it's what I know. I always wanted to play competitive Yu-Gi-Oh growing up but I didn't have the ability to get to events or anyone interested in helping me do things like that unfortunately. I'm essentially making up for lost time but Yu-Gi-Oh is WAY too much for anyone to just jump into anymore ๐Ÿ˜‚ 

Q: What do you hope to see more of in the TCG community? What do you hope to see less of?
A: Well the more part is easy, I hope to see more and more people realize that TCGs are literally for everyone and have just as much a role to play as board games and even video games. I want nerd culture to continue to win the culture war ๐Ÿค“๐Ÿ˜Ž As for negatives, I try not to focus on them but there are certain "winner takes all, anything goes" mindsets I don't appreciate in certain players. There's even people at this point I'd rather take an auto loss against than even try to play them in a tournament. 

Q: What are your thoughts on the new indie and homemade TCGs that have been coming out recently? Which one is your personal favorite?
A: I'm liking the innovation but, in all honesty, a lot of them need way more work than they are putting into their gameplay. TCGs cannot survive without three things altogether, quality product, well thought our and original mechanics, and some form of competitive aspect. Without all three no game can survive and unfortunately most of these games are either not doing enough to set themselves apart, or might be doing too much. I think Metazoo found a happy middle and that's why it's succeeded. My favorite new one is definitely BackroomsTCG. It's become my new passion. I already loved the backrooms content before I found the game, and the solo player, solitaire aspect is the most unique TCG I've seen probably ever. It's truly one of a kind and would be hard to replicate in a way that wasn't just a direct rip off. Essentially I'm not sure competition CAN arrise for BackroomsTCG since it's a new direction altogether. 

Q: What do you like best about the community?
A: The People. Everyone says that but I have met so many amazing people since rejoining the collector community almost two years ago. I really was in my own shell and didn't have any friends or know anyone. There's a lot of nuance but ultimately I did that to myself so I decided Id had enough and dove back in with an Evolving Skies Booster Box (pulled the moonbreon btw) and I haven't looked back because it's been too much fun. 

Q: Are there any hobbies you have outside of trading card games?
A: That's a very long list actually. Art in basically all forms is definitely one. I've even done my own sewing and leather work so I do mean ALL forms ๐Ÿ˜‚ Then there's bowling, watching anime (which is definitely a hobby the way I do it), I'm an old school horror movie nerd, I enjoy board games, and Video Game RPGs as well (Zelda and Pokemon mostly), and on top of that I'm an autodidact, so I really enjoy absorbing random information through videos and articles. Knowing me is like talking to a machine that won't stop saying "Hey did you know...." ๐Ÿ˜‚

For more, follow @metacosmic_quest on Instagram




















Comments

Popular posts from this blog

TCG Interview #90: Ward (Part 2)

I did a follow-up interview with Ward TCG, here are their answers to my questions! Q:  What’s new with Ward TCG since our previous interview? A: A lot has happened in the year since our last interview. Ward has hosted a dozen tournaments with great turnouts, lots of action, and many new players.    We have attended several conventions with the most recent being the HUGE Midwest gaming Classic in Milwaukee WI. The original actors from resident Evil 1 video game hung out at our booth for a while and were enamored with Ward.    We are in about 2 dozen stores, including a partnership with a Midwest convenience store chain “Luckey Seven”. They fell in love with Ward and have begun to spread it in their 37 stores across the Midwest.    We were invited to be on several interviews with ABC News. They also loved Ward and wanted to help promote an upcoming tournament we had in Minneapolis MN at that time. Being on Live TV was very nerve racking. We were also hosted by PBS for a short segment cal

TCG Interview #12: Neo Gambit

 I spoke with the creator of Neo Gambit- here are his answers to my questions: Q: Please describe your trading card game! A: NeoGambit is a fast paced and easy to play deck building combat TCG. Q: What inspired you to create a TCG? A: This came from a dream. I woke up from a nap and had dreamt of this fun TCG, reminded me of how much fun I had as a kid play card games. As a kid I spent hours playing games, but mostly alone, a lot of rules and effects for cards were off putting to others around me. So from my dream, NeoGambit was birthed. A simple fun TCG that literally anyone can play. Q: What TCGs did you grow up playing as a kid? A: My earliest memories are intertwined with TCGs, there wasn’t a moment in my childhood that I didn’t collect cards. Yugioh and Pokรฉmon have been in my life as long as I can remember. I collected both Pokรฉmon and yugioh for over 15 years. I also collected other TCGs over the years, my favorite being chaotic, I’d say that’s where most inspiration for the gam

TCG Interview #9: Nexvs

 I spoke with the creator of Nexvs- here are his answers to my questions: Q: Please describe your trading card game! A:  Nexvs Card Game is a two-player game designed to be compact, portable and fast paced but at the same time holds enough  strategic depth to have great games every time! In this game you will only need your 50-card deck, no extra deck, counters   or dice. The game board is easy to catch up and you can learn the rules in no time! With a space fantasy theme, through  Nexvs we will be able to explore many worlds, stories and characters!   Q: What inspired you to create a TCG? A: I've always liked to imagine sci-fi and fantasy stories since I was younger, so I began writing my own stories for fun!  Eventually I wanted to tell those stories through comics and games, but inside me there was a hidden passion for card  games that I didn't know about! My first inspiration was probably Digimon, but the 1999 card game through Digimon Tamers.  I wanted to make them just tr