Skip to main content

TCG Interview #60: RYFT Card Battle

I spoke with the creator of RYFT Card Battle! Here are his answers to my questions:


Q: Please describe your trading card game!
A: RYFT Card Battle (RYFT for short) is a fast paced, high-action TCG focused around opening RYFTs to all different Domains to bring forth Beings and Matrixes to battle your Rival! Both players will utilise Beings and Code cards to build up powerful boards, then battle for victory!

Q: What inspired you to create your own TCG?
A: When I was a lot younger, I used to spend my days creating custom cards for games like Pokémon/Yu-Gi-Oh!, etc. I'd even develop my own card archetypes and gamemodes, then take them to my locals for us to play! Over time I moved to more digital platforms to play games, but always wanted to bring that unique feel my old cards had in those games. Thus, RYFT was born!

Q: What TCGs did you grow up playing as a kid?
A: I mainly focused on Yu-Gi-Oh! and Pokémon, but did dabble into other games like MTG from time to time. I also used to play Hearthstone and ventured into other card games as well.

Q: What sets RYFT apart from other TCGs?
A: RYFT has a unique game mechanic called "Connection". This mechanic allows a Being and a Matrix card to exist in 1 Battle Zone together, and if they share the same Zone they both unlock extra abilities! This allows players to mix and match Domains to bring a sense of synergy to the game! The combinations you can create can almost be endless as the game grows!

Q: How did you come up with the name RYFT Card Battle?
A: It's actually quite a funny story! We were brainstorming art style ideas for the game, when it was suggested that we try a bit of everything. Then the concept of bringing all different multi-verses was thrown into the mix to allow this art direction to work, then the name RYFT came shortly after that!

Q: How long have you been working on the game?
A: The original concept was first drafted back in 2017 however was shelved for around 2/3 years. But since the start of 2020 it's been constant! We plan to keep growing the game with future sets and have almost 700 cards on the shelf ready to be balanced and added into those future sets already!

Q: What is the illustration/design process like?
A: I'm personally terrible at art, believe me I try but I can never get it right! I have the ideas in my head so I communicate these as best as I can to a great team of artists who bring the ideas to life! Every artist we've worked with has brought their own unique flair which is exactly what we wanted for RYFT. In terms of the actual card design, this was a pain! We've made around 9 different versions, with each version having about 2/300 variations! Safe to say we're finally there and don't have this concern anymore!

Q: What are your future plans for Ryft?
A: Our current plans are to create our first set: Golden Alliance, which is currently for pre-order on our website www.ryftcardbattle.com, then aim to start hosting some local tournaments and a few through TTS. After this we plan to eventually go to Kickstarter with a very awesome idea, but I can't spoil that for now...

Q: Will you be at any upcoming conventions?
A: Currently we have plans to attend Norwich Games Con 2023 in August, but then we will be looking to travel the UK next year!

Q: Do you have any advice for someone looking to make their own TCG?
A: I'd say to take your time and to work on the mechanics of your game! Art is of course a key factor too but without a well balanced game your game will struggle to grow! Don't feel like you have to rush your game, once you've got a solid foundation made try to play with friends/family then go from there!

For more, follow @ryft_tcg on Instagram and check out www.ryftcardbattle.com















Comments

Popular posts from this blog

TCG Interview #90: Ward (Part 2)

I did a follow-up interview with Ward TCG, here are their answers to my questions! Q:  What’s new with Ward TCG since our previous interview? A: A lot has happened in the year since our last interview. Ward has hosted a dozen tournaments with great turnouts, lots of action, and many new players.    We have attended several conventions with the most recent being the HUGE Midwest gaming Classic in Milwaukee WI. The original actors from resident Evil 1 video game hung out at our booth for a while and were enamored with Ward.    We are in about 2 dozen stores, including a partnership with a Midwest convenience store chain “Luckey Seven”. They fell in love with Ward and have begun to spread it in their 37 stores across the Midwest.    We were invited to be on several interviews with ABC News. They also loved Ward and wanted to help promote an upcoming tournament we had in Minneapolis MN at that time. Being on Live TV was very nerve racking. We were also hosted by PBS for a short segment cal

TCG Interview #12: Neo Gambit

 I spoke with the creator of Neo Gambit- here are his answers to my questions: Q: Please describe your trading card game! A: NeoGambit is a fast paced and easy to play deck building combat TCG. Q: What inspired you to create a TCG? A: This came from a dream. I woke up from a nap and had dreamt of this fun TCG, reminded me of how much fun I had as a kid play card games. As a kid I spent hours playing games, but mostly alone, a lot of rules and effects for cards were off putting to others around me. So from my dream, NeoGambit was birthed. A simple fun TCG that literally anyone can play. Q: What TCGs did you grow up playing as a kid? A: My earliest memories are intertwined with TCGs, there wasn’t a moment in my childhood that I didn’t collect cards. Yugioh and Pokémon have been in my life as long as I can remember. I collected both Pokémon and yugioh for over 15 years. I also collected other TCGs over the years, my favorite being chaotic, I’d say that’s where most inspiration for the gam

TCG Interview #9: Nexvs

 I spoke with the creator of Nexvs- here are his answers to my questions: Q: Please describe your trading card game! A:  Nexvs Card Game is a two-player game designed to be compact, portable and fast paced but at the same time holds enough  strategic depth to have great games every time! In this game you will only need your 50-card deck, no extra deck, counters   or dice. The game board is easy to catch up and you can learn the rules in no time! With a space fantasy theme, through  Nexvs we will be able to explore many worlds, stories and characters!   Q: What inspired you to create a TCG? A: I've always liked to imagine sci-fi and fantasy stories since I was younger, so I began writing my own stories for fun!  Eventually I wanted to tell those stories through comics and games, but inside me there was a hidden passion for card  games that I didn't know about! My first inspiration was probably Digimon, but the 1999 card game through Digimon Tamers.  I wanted to make them just tr