Skip to main content

TCG Interview #62: Dead World

I spoke with the creator of Dead World! Here are his answers to my questions:

Q: Please describe your trading card game!
A: Dead World is an indie TCG I am creating with the goal of being easy for new players to pick up as well as keeping experienced players entertained. I wanted a game that focuses more on fun gameplay over reading lots of text and chasing cards. It is based in a world I created originally as a short story that keeps expanding.

Q: What inspired you to create your own TCG?
A: I have been a fan of TCGs my whole life. I was a typical Pokémon kid obsessed with cards
and games. I remember being frustrated that most people only collected the cards and had no
idea how to play the game. As I got older, I ventured into Magic and stopped playing for a while due to the same frustrations. Like a lot of people, covid gave me more time to focus on my hobbies which include playing TCGs again and developing story ideas. Following MetaZoo early on during the Kickstarter phase really inspired me to combine my hobbies into a TCG of my own. I love playing indie TCGs but a lot of them seem to focus on how difficult they can be. I wanted to create a game with an easy learning curve and different layers of difficulty. It has
some of the basic mechanics of the popular TCGs but also introduces fun new ones.

Q: What sets Dead World apart from other TCGs?
A: Beauty in simplicity! Take away time reading and explaining cards and add more time
playing. As far as the gameplay is concerned, one big thing is the attacking mechanic. Most
attacks involve a die roll and speed mechanics that can be manipulated for a higher, or lower,
chance of a hit. Big tank like characters or zombies may be slower and have less of a chance for a successful attack. Faster characters may hit at a higher rate but usually do less damage.
Mounts, boosts, bleeding or even weapons can alter a base cards speed. This creates what I call “Hail Mary” type plays that are extremely fun when they hit and can change the momentum. Another unique mechanic in the game is building or repairing structures. You use material cards and “blueprints” to successfully build different things on the battlefield. There’s also a fun way to start the game that I’ve never seen, weather and location cards that can alter the battle among other things.

Q: How did you come up with the name Dead World?
A: Dead World originally comes from a short story I wrote and is the background for the
characters and lore of the game. A world just like ours but separated by an alternate timeline
where a rift in space has unleashed dark energy upon Earth. Strong leaders harness dark or light energy to wage war on each other. There are many background stories for the characters and lots of easter eggs to famous events, people or objects throughout history.

Q: How long have you been working on the game?
A: A lot of the ideas for Dead World have been in development for years but the creation of the TCG has been about a year.

Q: What is the illustration/design process like?
A: Fun but a lot of work. I found my artist on Reddit after looking at 100s of portfolios. Most of the images were sent to them as black and white drawings with a description of the characters. We would go back and forth on some illustrations but one thing I learned early was hire artist you trust and let them do their thing. No AI artwork here. 

Q: What are your future plans for Dead World?
A: I am still early in my creation but hoping the message and characters resonate with people so I can build a following. I am spending a lot of time playtesting right now, finalizing the new layout and working on a few holographic prototypes. After that I plan on bringing in more play testers, releasing a tabletop mod and expanding the team. My goal is for a future campaign, hopefully around Halloween, to raise money to reinvest into the art, production and marketing of Dead World and its stories.

Q: Will you be at any upcoming conventions?
A: Being from Texas, I was at Dallas CC incognito! I hope to bring my cards to conventions in
2024 but have this pesky job thing slowing down my travels.

Q: Do you have any advice for someone looking to make their own TCG?
A: I’m learning as I go but I would say to follow other successful people, support other indie
TCGs and just do it! Most people don’t even try to do something they love.

For more, follow @deadworldtcg on Instagram and check out deadworldtcg.com



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

TCG Interview #90: Ward (Part 2)

I did a follow-up interview with Ward TCG, here are their answers to my questions! Q:  What’s new with Ward TCG since our previous interview? A: A lot has happened in the year since our last interview. Ward has hosted a dozen tournaments with great turnouts, lots of action, and many new players.    We have attended several conventions with the most recent being the HUGE Midwest gaming Classic in Milwaukee WI. The original actors from resident Evil 1 video game hung out at our booth for a while and were enamored with Ward.    We are in about 2 dozen stores, including a partnership with a Midwest convenience store chain “Luckey Seven”. They fell in love with Ward and have begun to spread it in their 37 stores across the Midwest.    We were invited to be on several interviews with ABC News. They also loved Ward and wanted to help promote an upcoming tournament we had in Minneapolis MN at that time. Being on Live TV was very nerve racking. We were also hosted by PBS for a short segment cal

TCG Interview #12: Neo Gambit

 I spoke with the creator of Neo Gambit- here are his answers to my questions: Q: Please describe your trading card game! A: NeoGambit is a fast paced and easy to play deck building combat TCG. Q: What inspired you to create a TCG? A: This came from a dream. I woke up from a nap and had dreamt of this fun TCG, reminded me of how much fun I had as a kid play card games. As a kid I spent hours playing games, but mostly alone, a lot of rules and effects for cards were off putting to others around me. So from my dream, NeoGambit was birthed. A simple fun TCG that literally anyone can play. Q: What TCGs did you grow up playing as a kid? A: My earliest memories are intertwined with TCGs, there wasn’t a moment in my childhood that I didn’t collect cards. Yugioh and Pokémon have been in my life as long as I can remember. I collected both Pokémon and yugioh for over 15 years. I also collected other TCGs over the years, my favorite being chaotic, I’d say that’s where most inspiration for the gam

TCG Interview #9: Nexvs

 I spoke with the creator of Nexvs- here are his answers to my questions: Q: Please describe your trading card game! A:  Nexvs Card Game is a two-player game designed to be compact, portable and fast paced but at the same time holds enough  strategic depth to have great games every time! In this game you will only need your 50-card deck, no extra deck, counters   or dice. The game board is easy to catch up and you can learn the rules in no time! With a space fantasy theme, through  Nexvs we will be able to explore many worlds, stories and characters!   Q: What inspired you to create a TCG? A: I've always liked to imagine sci-fi and fantasy stories since I was younger, so I began writing my own stories for fun!  Eventually I wanted to tell those stories through comics and games, but inside me there was a hidden passion for card  games that I didn't know about! My first inspiration was probably Digimon, but the 1999 card game through Digimon Tamers.  I wanted to make them just tr