Skip to main content

TCG Interview #62: Dead World

I spoke with the creator of Dead World! Here are his answers to my questions:

Q: Please describe your trading card game!
A: Dead World is an indie TCG I am creating with the goal of being easy for new players to pick up as well as keeping experienced players entertained. I wanted a game that focuses more on fun gameplay over reading lots of text and chasing cards. It is based in a world I created originally as a short story that keeps expanding.

Q: What inspired you to create your own TCG?
A: I have been a fan of TCGs my whole life. I was a typical Pokémon kid obsessed with cards
and games. I remember being frustrated that most people only collected the cards and had no
idea how to play the game. As I got older, I ventured into Magic and stopped playing for a while due to the same frustrations. Like a lot of people, covid gave me more time to focus on my hobbies which include playing TCGs again and developing story ideas. Following MetaZoo early on during the Kickstarter phase really inspired me to combine my hobbies into a TCG of my own. I love playing indie TCGs but a lot of them seem to focus on how difficult they can be. I wanted to create a game with an easy learning curve and different layers of difficulty. It has
some of the basic mechanics of the popular TCGs but also introduces fun new ones.

Q: What sets Dead World apart from other TCGs?
A: Beauty in simplicity! Take away time reading and explaining cards and add more time
playing. As far as the gameplay is concerned, one big thing is the attacking mechanic. Most
attacks involve a die roll and speed mechanics that can be manipulated for a higher, or lower,
chance of a hit. Big tank like characters or zombies may be slower and have less of a chance for a successful attack. Faster characters may hit at a higher rate but usually do less damage.
Mounts, boosts, bleeding or even weapons can alter a base cards speed. This creates what I call “Hail Mary” type plays that are extremely fun when they hit and can change the momentum. Another unique mechanic in the game is building or repairing structures. You use material cards and “blueprints” to successfully build different things on the battlefield. There’s also a fun way to start the game that I’ve never seen, weather and location cards that can alter the battle among other things.

Q: How did you come up with the name Dead World?
A: Dead World originally comes from a short story I wrote and is the background for the
characters and lore of the game. A world just like ours but separated by an alternate timeline
where a rift in space has unleashed dark energy upon Earth. Strong leaders harness dark or light energy to wage war on each other. There are many background stories for the characters and lots of easter eggs to famous events, people or objects throughout history.

Q: How long have you been working on the game?
A: A lot of the ideas for Dead World have been in development for years but the creation of the TCG has been about a year.

Q: What is the illustration/design process like?
A: Fun but a lot of work. I found my artist on Reddit after looking at 100s of portfolios. Most of the images were sent to them as black and white drawings with a description of the characters. We would go back and forth on some illustrations but one thing I learned early was hire artist you trust and let them do their thing. No AI artwork here. 

Q: What are your future plans for Dead World?
A: I am still early in my creation but hoping the message and characters resonate with people so I can build a following. I am spending a lot of time playtesting right now, finalizing the new layout and working on a few holographic prototypes. After that I plan on bringing in more play testers, releasing a tabletop mod and expanding the team. My goal is for a future campaign, hopefully around Halloween, to raise money to reinvest into the art, production and marketing of Dead World and its stories.

Q: Will you be at any upcoming conventions?
A: Being from Texas, I was at Dallas CC incognito! I hope to bring my cards to conventions in
2024 but have this pesky job thing slowing down my travels.

Q: Do you have any advice for someone looking to make their own TCG?
A: I’m learning as I go but I would say to follow other successful people, support other indie
TCGs and just do it! Most people don’t even try to do something they love.

For more, follow @deadworldtcg on Instagram and check out deadworldtcg.com



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

TCG Interview #74: Ward

I spoke to the creators of WARD! Here are their answers to my questions:  Q: Please describe your trading card game! A: Ward is a trading card game that blends aspects from other popular TCGs like Pokemon, Yugioh, and Magic: The Gathering, but adds a Dungeons and Dragons style, dice rolling, battle system. We then simplified all aspects/systems so anyone can learn how to play with ease. Q: What inspired you to create your own TCG? A: Ward was inspired by creator Joe Casey when he decided to buy a few packs of a new card game (We will not say which). He had always loved card games of any type, Pokemon, Yugioh, Magic, Cribbage, Poker, and so many more. He brought the packs home, opened them up and read the rules in order to play it. For several hours, he and another future Ward associate, could not figure out the rules or general layout of playing the game. YouTube videos did not explain it well either. Eventually, they gave up and moved on. The idea for Ward was not created on this ...

TCG Interview #49: Object Outrage: War of the Whatchamacallits

I spoke with the creator of Object Outrage: War of the Whatchamacallits! Here are his answers to my questions: Q: Please describe your trading card game! A: Object Outrage: War of the Whatchamacallits is a tcg that has random objects fight to the death during a war that started after a group of scientists created a device that makes inanimate objects come to life. The Objects have teamed up based on what their preferred weapons and fighting style is, and attack any species of object that they haven’t teamed up with. Q: What inspired you to create your own TCG? A: My best friend who made Power Beasts and Culinary Combat was my inspiration for making OOTCG. He got me into HTCGs and helped me start OOTCG. My other inspiration is Chaos Galaxy, I used to watch his videos when I was younger and still love watching him today. Q: What TCGs did you grow up playing as a kid? A: I used to play a lot of Pokemon and Yugioh, I collected a lot of cards for each game and still have some of them. I pl...

TCG Interview #88: Disc Cards

I spoke with Rob Eames, the creator of Disc Cards- h ere are his answers to my questions!  Q: Please describe your trading card game! A: I have always thought of it as a child of Magic: the Gathering and Yahtzee lineage, with Disc Golf  serving as the Midwife. That’s the glib answer, the serious one is this:  Disc Cards is a Trading Card Game, to be sold in Specialty Game Shops and especially Disc Golf Pro  Shops.  Players have a Deck of 60 cards, with no more than 3 of the same Disc Side allowed, and no more  than 3 of the same Location Side allowed. Each player has three 6-sided dice, and they use their dice  rolls and Disc Cards to match the obstacles along their chosen Route (players can choose to go for a  Par, a Birdie, or an Ace: a hole in one). You can play Disc Cards with a Group or Solo, you can decide to play high risk/reward or low-risk conservative, you can choose to help your opponents or you can choose to hinder your opponents:...