Skip to main content

TCG Interview #63: Mythrel

 I spoke with the creator of Mythrel! Here are his answers to my questions:


Q: Please describe your trading card game!

A: Mythrel is a unique blend of digital and physical trading card game that combines the best of both worlds. Players can collect and trade cards both in real life and online, and the game mechanics allow for strategic and engaging gameplay. The game is set in a fantasy world filled with deep lore, mythical creatures, and powerful magic. Each card represents a character, equipment, or spell that can be used in battle.


Q: What inspired you to create your own TCG?

A: I've always been a fan of trading card games since I was a kid. The strategy, the artwork, the thrill of opening a new pack of cards - it all fascinated me. As I grew older, I realized that I wanted to create my own game that combined all the elements I loved from different TCGs, but also had its own unique twist. More recently, some mainstream TCGs really upset me as a heavily invested collector...That's how Mythrel was born.


Q: What TCGs did you grow up playing as a kid?

A: I grew up playing a variety of TCGs, including Magic: The Gathering, Pokémon, Hearthstone, Digimon, Duel Masters, Yu-Gi-Oh, and more recently Flesh and Blood and Metazoo. Each of these games had their own unique aspects that I enjoyed, and they all influenced the creation of Mythrel in some way.


Q: What sets Mythrel apart from other TCGs?

A: What sets Mythrel apart is its blend of digital and physical 

gameplay. Players can collect and trade cards in both formats, and the game mechanics are designed to work seamlessly across both. This gives players more flexibility in how they play and collect. Additionally, the game's lore and artwork are unique and immersive, providing a rich backdrop for the game. Mythrel is actually delivering the "Trading" in "Trading Card Game".


Q: How did you come up with the name Mythrel?

A: The name Mythrel is a combination of the words "myth" and "relic", reflecting the game's fantasy theme and the magical, otherworldly old school nature of its world and characters.


Q: How long have you been working on the game?

A: I've been working on Mythrel since around September of 2022. It's been a labor of love, and I'm really proud of how it's turned out.


Q: What is the illustration/design process like?

A: The illustration and design process is a collaborative effort between myself and an ever growing team of talented artists. We start with a concept for a card, including its abilities and role in the game. Then, we brainstorm ideas for the artwork that would best represent that concept. Once we have a rough sketch, we refine it until we're happy with the final design. Artists come from other major games and TCGs such as MTG, Flesh and Blood, Pathfinder, Kryptik, Gods Unchained, and more.


Q: What are your future plans for Mythrel?

A: We plan to continue expanding the game with new cards, sets, art, features, and mechanics. I also hope to organize physical tournaments and events in person, to continue to build a strong community around the game. Mythrel will become available on Steam, Google Play, and Apple App Store on June 1st 2023. We plan to continue to release more lore, comic 

books, cinematics, and much more as Mythrel matures.


Q: Will you be at any upcoming conventions?

A: Yes, we plan to showcase Mythrel at several gaming conventions in the coming year. We are really excited to meet players in person and introduce more people to the game.


Q: Do you have any advice for someone looking to make their own TCG?

A: My advice would be to start with a clear vision of what you want your game to be. What kind of experience do you want players to have? What makes your game unique? Once you have that vision, everything else - the mechanics, the artwork, the marketing - will fall into place. Also, don't be afraid to seek out feedback and make adjustments along the way. Creating a TCG is a massively big undertaking, but it's also incredibly rewarding.


For more, follow @mythreltcg on Instagram and check ouhttps://mythrel.com












Comments

Popular posts from this blog

TCG Interview #90: Ward (Part 2)

I did a follow-up interview with Ward TCG, here are their answers to my questions! Q:  What’s new with Ward TCG since our previous interview? A: A lot has happened in the year since our last interview. Ward has hosted a dozen tournaments with great turnouts, lots of action, and many new players.    We have attended several conventions with the most recent being the HUGE Midwest gaming Classic in Milwaukee WI. The original actors from resident Evil 1 video game hung out at our booth for a while and were enamored with Ward.    We are in about 2 dozen stores, including a partnership with a Midwest convenience store chain “Luckey Seven”. They fell in love with Ward and have begun to spread it in their 37 stores across the Midwest.    We were invited to be on several interviews with ABC News. They also loved Ward and wanted to help promote an upcoming tournament we had in Minneapolis MN at that time. Being on Live TV was very nerve racking. We were also hosted by PBS for a short segment cal

TCG Interview #12: Neo Gambit

 I spoke with the creator of Neo Gambit- here are his answers to my questions: Q: Please describe your trading card game! A: NeoGambit is a fast paced and easy to play deck building combat TCG. Q: What inspired you to create a TCG? A: This came from a dream. I woke up from a nap and had dreamt of this fun TCG, reminded me of how much fun I had as a kid play card games. As a kid I spent hours playing games, but mostly alone, a lot of rules and effects for cards were off putting to others around me. So from my dream, NeoGambit was birthed. A simple fun TCG that literally anyone can play. Q: What TCGs did you grow up playing as a kid? A: My earliest memories are intertwined with TCGs, there wasn’t a moment in my childhood that I didn’t collect cards. Yugioh and Pokémon have been in my life as long as I can remember. I collected both Pokémon and yugioh for over 15 years. I also collected other TCGs over the years, my favorite being chaotic, I’d say that’s where most inspiration for the gam

TCG Interview #9: Nexvs

 I spoke with the creator of Nexvs- here are his answers to my questions: Q: Please describe your trading card game! A:  Nexvs Card Game is a two-player game designed to be compact, portable and fast paced but at the same time holds enough  strategic depth to have great games every time! In this game you will only need your 50-card deck, no extra deck, counters   or dice. The game board is easy to catch up and you can learn the rules in no time! With a space fantasy theme, through  Nexvs we will be able to explore many worlds, stories and characters!   Q: What inspired you to create a TCG? A: I've always liked to imagine sci-fi and fantasy stories since I was younger, so I began writing my own stories for fun!  Eventually I wanted to tell those stories through comics and games, but inside me there was a hidden passion for card  games that I didn't know about! My first inspiration was probably Digimon, but the 1999 card game through Digimon Tamers.  I wanted to make them just tr