Skip to main content

TCG Interview #70: Heroes of Sencia

 I spoke with the creator of Heroes of Sencia! Here are his answers to my questions:


Q: Please describe your trading card game!

A: HEROES OF SENCIA is a collectible card game where you share turns with your opponent!


You are a Commander of Heroes in a realm outside of space and time, the nexus from which all Sencia flows: Otura! Together, you and the heroes you have at your disposal must fend off opposing Commanders. Take control of the Fields, formed by splintered worlds, fractured by the forces of darkness. Brings these worlds back to light!


Q: What inspired you to create your own TCG?

A: Since I was a child, I collected and played card games!


That said, in recent years I’ve grown frustrated with games that allowed players to finish a game within a turn, preventing the other player from acting. Instead of simply complaining about that, I tried thinking of a way to remedy this.


Q: What TCGs did you grow up playing as a kid?

A: Pokémon and Yu-Gi-Oh were the two main TCGs growing up. I hadn’t tried many others until my 20s.


Q: What sets Heroes of Sencia apart from other TCGs?

A: The goal of the game isn’t to reach a number of points or deplete your opponent’s. Instead, the goal is to control 3 Fields with your Heroes and do your best to keep them in play by the end of 6 turns.


Q: How did you come up with the name Heroes of Sencia?

A: The concept of a multiversal story featuring powerful characters was one thing, but each of them honorably fighting for their home worlds as heroes was exciting.


The other side to this was the original concept of this ethereal power called Sencia that would appear in these unique worlds. These worlds span across different genres and mediums I’ve explored as a storyteller.


Sencia comes from an Old Spanish words “sensia” meaning “Knowledge” and is where the word science derived from. It’s a name I coined when referencing this ethereal element in my fictional works.


Q: How long have you been working on the game?

A: The idea to create a card game, though it was entirely different from this one in structure, began a decade ago.


This current form of the game was in the development for a year now.


Q: What is the illustration/design process like?

A: First and foremost, I think of cards that would work within the concept of “controlling fields” more than battling other cards. Battling isn’t the focus of this game, though it is a mechanic.


In the current state of the game, the Preview Edition, I have done all the illustration and design myself. In the coming months, I will be collaborating with artists to create more cards and alternate art of existing cards!


Q: What are your future plans for Heroes of Sencia?

A: At the moment, the Preview Edition acts like an open beta of sorts before finalizing a 1.0 rule set. It’s available physically via The Game Crafter at the moment and digitally as a Tabletop Simulator mod!


In the future, finalizing the rules and cards for a full set 1 is the plan, then crowdfunding a full launch. I’d hope to make it available for retail, that’s for sure.


Q: Will you be at any upcoming conventions?

A: Currently, I do not have any events lined up, but I plan to start a local tour around a few LGS in my area. 


Q: Do you have any advice for someone looking to make their own TCG?

A: Research, research, research. Look for ways others have done it independently.


I highly recommend the YouTube channel Kohdok. I’ve learned a great deal from watching his videos on TCG development, mechanics, and even packaging design!


For more, follow @heroesofsencia on Instagram








Comments

Popular posts from this blog

TCG Interview #90: Ward (Part 2)

I did a follow-up interview with Ward TCG, here are their answers to my questions! Q:  What’s new with Ward TCG since our previous interview? A: A lot has happened in the year since our last interview. Ward has hosted a dozen tournaments with great turnouts, lots of action, and many new players.    We have attended several conventions with the most recent being the HUGE Midwest gaming Classic in Milwaukee WI. The original actors from resident Evil 1 video game hung out at our booth for a while and were enamored with Ward.    We are in about 2 dozen stores, including a partnership with a Midwest convenience store chain “Luckey Seven”. They fell in love with Ward and have begun to spread it in their 37 stores across the Midwest.    We were invited to be on several interviews with ABC News. They also loved Ward and wanted to help promote an upcoming tournament we had in Minneapolis MN at that time. Being on Live TV was very nerve racking. We were also hosted by PBS for a short segment cal

TCG Interview #12: Neo Gambit

 I spoke with the creator of Neo Gambit- here are his answers to my questions: Q: Please describe your trading card game! A: NeoGambit is a fast paced and easy to play deck building combat TCG. Q: What inspired you to create a TCG? A: This came from a dream. I woke up from a nap and had dreamt of this fun TCG, reminded me of how much fun I had as a kid play card games. As a kid I spent hours playing games, but mostly alone, a lot of rules and effects for cards were off putting to others around me. So from my dream, NeoGambit was birthed. A simple fun TCG that literally anyone can play. Q: What TCGs did you grow up playing as a kid? A: My earliest memories are intertwined with TCGs, there wasn’t a moment in my childhood that I didn’t collect cards. Yugioh and Pokémon have been in my life as long as I can remember. I collected both Pokémon and yugioh for over 15 years. I also collected other TCGs over the years, my favorite being chaotic, I’d say that’s where most inspiration for the gam

TCG Interview #9: Nexvs

 I spoke with the creator of Nexvs- here are his answers to my questions: Q: Please describe your trading card game! A:  Nexvs Card Game is a two-player game designed to be compact, portable and fast paced but at the same time holds enough  strategic depth to have great games every time! In this game you will only need your 50-card deck, no extra deck, counters   or dice. The game board is easy to catch up and you can learn the rules in no time! With a space fantasy theme, through  Nexvs we will be able to explore many worlds, stories and characters!   Q: What inspired you to create a TCG? A: I've always liked to imagine sci-fi and fantasy stories since I was younger, so I began writing my own stories for fun!  Eventually I wanted to tell those stories through comics and games, but inside me there was a hidden passion for card  games that I didn't know about! My first inspiration was probably Digimon, but the 1999 card game through Digimon Tamers.  I wanted to make them just tr