Skip to main content

TCG Interview #70: Heroes of Sencia

 I spoke with the creator of Heroes of Sencia! Here are his answers to my questions:


Q: Please describe your trading card game!

A: HEROES OF SENCIA is a collectible card game where you share turns with your opponent!


You are a Commander of Heroes in a realm outside of space and time, the nexus from which all Sencia flows: Otura! Together, you and the heroes you have at your disposal must fend off opposing Commanders. Take control of the Fields, formed by splintered worlds, fractured by the forces of darkness. Brings these worlds back to light!


Q: What inspired you to create your own TCG?

A: Since I was a child, I collected and played card games!


That said, in recent years I’ve grown frustrated with games that allowed players to finish a game within a turn, preventing the other player from acting. Instead of simply complaining about that, I tried thinking of a way to remedy this.


Q: What TCGs did you grow up playing as a kid?

A: Pokémon and Yu-Gi-Oh were the two main TCGs growing up. I hadn’t tried many others until my 20s.


Q: What sets Heroes of Sencia apart from other TCGs?

A: The goal of the game isn’t to reach a number of points or deplete your opponent’s. Instead, the goal is to control 3 Fields with your Heroes and do your best to keep them in play by the end of 6 turns.


Q: How did you come up with the name Heroes of Sencia?

A: The concept of a multiversal story featuring powerful characters was one thing, but each of them honorably fighting for their home worlds as heroes was exciting.


The other side to this was the original concept of this ethereal power called Sencia that would appear in these unique worlds. These worlds span across different genres and mediums I’ve explored as a storyteller.


Sencia comes from an Old Spanish words “sensia” meaning “Knowledge” and is where the word science derived from. It’s a name I coined when referencing this ethereal element in my fictional works.


Q: How long have you been working on the game?

A: The idea to create a card game, though it was entirely different from this one in structure, began a decade ago.


This current form of the game was in the development for a year now.


Q: What is the illustration/design process like?

A: First and foremost, I think of cards that would work within the concept of “controlling fields” more than battling other cards. Battling isn’t the focus of this game, though it is a mechanic.


In the current state of the game, the Preview Edition, I have done all the illustration and design myself. In the coming months, I will be collaborating with artists to create more cards and alternate art of existing cards!


Q: What are your future plans for Heroes of Sencia?

A: At the moment, the Preview Edition acts like an open beta of sorts before finalizing a 1.0 rule set. It’s available physically via The Game Crafter at the moment and digitally as a Tabletop Simulator mod!


In the future, finalizing the rules and cards for a full set 1 is the plan, then crowdfunding a full launch. I’d hope to make it available for retail, that’s for sure.


Q: Will you be at any upcoming conventions?

A: Currently, I do not have any events lined up, but I plan to start a local tour around a few LGS in my area. 


Q: Do you have any advice for someone looking to make their own TCG?

A: Research, research, research. Look for ways others have done it independently.


I highly recommend the YouTube channel Kohdok. I’ve learned a great deal from watching his videos on TCG development, mechanics, and even packaging design!


For more, follow @heroesofsencia on Instagram








Comments

Popular posts from this blog

TCG Interview #74: Ward

I spoke to the creators of WARD! Here are their answers to my questions:  Q: Please describe your trading card game! A: Ward is a trading card game that blends aspects from other popular TCGs like Pokemon, Yugioh, and Magic: The Gathering, but adds a Dungeons and Dragons style, dice rolling, battle system. We then simplified all aspects/systems so anyone can learn how to play with ease. Q: What inspired you to create your own TCG? A: Ward was inspired by creator Joe Casey when he decided to buy a few packs of a new card game (We will not say which). He had always loved card games of any type, Pokemon, Yugioh, Magic, Cribbage, Poker, and so many more. He brought the packs home, opened them up and read the rules in order to play it. For several hours, he and another future Ward associate, could not figure out the rules or general layout of playing the game. YouTube videos did not explain it well either. Eventually, they gave up and moved on. The idea for Ward was not created on this ...

TCG Interview #49: Object Outrage: War of the Whatchamacallits

I spoke with the creator of Object Outrage: War of the Whatchamacallits! Here are his answers to my questions: Q: Please describe your trading card game! A: Object Outrage: War of the Whatchamacallits is a tcg that has random objects fight to the death during a war that started after a group of scientists created a device that makes inanimate objects come to life. The Objects have teamed up based on what their preferred weapons and fighting style is, and attack any species of object that they haven’t teamed up with. Q: What inspired you to create your own TCG? A: My best friend who made Power Beasts and Culinary Combat was my inspiration for making OOTCG. He got me into HTCGs and helped me start OOTCG. My other inspiration is Chaos Galaxy, I used to watch his videos when I was younger and still love watching him today. Q: What TCGs did you grow up playing as a kid? A: I used to play a lot of Pokemon and Yugioh, I collected a lot of cards for each game and still have some of them. I pl...

TCG Interview #88: Disc Cards

I spoke with Rob Eames, the creator of Disc Cards- h ere are his answers to my questions!  Q: Please describe your trading card game! A: I have always thought of it as a child of Magic: the Gathering and Yahtzee lineage, with Disc Golf  serving as the Midwife. That’s the glib answer, the serious one is this:  Disc Cards is a Trading Card Game, to be sold in Specialty Game Shops and especially Disc Golf Pro  Shops.  Players have a Deck of 60 cards, with no more than 3 of the same Disc Side allowed, and no more  than 3 of the same Location Side allowed. Each player has three 6-sided dice, and they use their dice  rolls and Disc Cards to match the obstacles along their chosen Route (players can choose to go for a  Par, a Birdie, or an Ace: a hole in one). You can play Disc Cards with a Group or Solo, you can decide to play high risk/reward or low-risk conservative, you can choose to help your opponents or you can choose to hinder your opponents:...