Skip to main content

TCG Interview #75: Galaxy Beasts

I spoke with the creator of Galaxy Beasts! Here are his answers to my questions:

Q: Please describe your trading card game!

A: Galaxy Beasts is a collectible card game between two players. In the game, each player builds an "army", using various creatures and beasts, which are divided into offensive and defensive positions. The aim of the game is to destroy your opponent's crystal of life and at the same time defend your own.

Q: What inspired you to create your own TCG?

A: As children, my best friend and I made various comics from our own fantasy world. When I was about 8 years old, we got pokemon cards and it was from this that I got the idea to make my own cards. So they had no game potential, they were just pictures on a cut out square of paper.

Q: What TCGs did you grow up playing as a kid?

A: As a child, I got my hands on a few card games. Which include Pokémon, Yu-Gi-Oh or various football cards. However, I never played the card game itself, at least not according to the rules (we made up our own rules). Only in recent years have I played Pokemon cards in tournaments and have also tried Yu-Gi- Oh or Magic the Gathering.

Q: What sets Galaxy Beasts apart from other TCGs?

A: The original plan was to take the best of all the card games and put it into one. However, this changed in the last year and I decided to add more custom mechanics. Which include, for example, attaching weapons to creatures, these weapons subsequently work in such a way that when the creature attacks or defends, the player rolls a die and according to the number on the die, an effect is triggered that is written on the weapon card. However, each weapon has a certain durability, and even if the creature lasts indefinitely in the game, the weapon will wear out and be destroyed after a certain time. It must be repaired when it is used again. Another differentiating mechanic can be precisely the offensive and defensive position. Each creature card has either a shield or a sword on it, depending on which position it can go into. For example, if she has a sword, she can be played in an attacking position. Creatures in attack position attack the opponent's defense position and subsequently the life crystal. On the other hand, creatures in the defensive position cannot attack, but defend against the opponent's attacks. This can create perfect tactics right when building a game deck.

Q: How did you come up with the name Galaxy Beasts?

A: The original plan was to name the game Pandrboj. Since one of the main races is the humanoid race "Troran" it is from this that the name "Pandr" like and "Panák" which is stickman in the Slovak language and "boj" which means fight. But then more and more creatures and beasts began to appear in this world and since it is not just one planet but a whole galaxy of different planets and in the future more planets. That's how the name & Galaxy Beasts was born.

Q: How long have you been working on the game?

A: I have been working in the world itself for over twelve years. He invents different stories and I already have a book written. However, as for the TCG, it all started there at the turn of 2019/2020.

Q: What is the illustration/design process like?

A: My design process is very particular, I think. Because every time a new creature is created, it starts with lines drawn with a pencil on paper. I almost never know what I'm going to draw, most of the time it's just lines from which a creature is created with the help of my imagination. So, first I draw a picture with a pencil on paper, then I take a photo of this picture on my mobile phone and then I sculpt and color it all with my finger on my mobile phone. I usually then use some filters for shading and the like.

Q: When will the game officially be released?

A: Every year since 2021, I say this summer. I won't say it this time. I realized that the beginning and the first set is very important and yes it is likely that set 5 will have much nicer art than set 1 (if I live to see it). But that's not really the point here. I'm always trying to perfect the rules and game mechanics. I don't want to release a game that is unplayable. And at the same time, if people have to give money for those cards, I want it to be really worth it. Therefore, today I will say that I plan to officially release the game by the end of 2024, if luck is on my side. Maybe some battle decks will be released before set 1, but I don't want to make any promises or have events take place. If there is anything to come, it will be announced on my instagram. It's really hard to make it all happen because I'm working on it all by myself.

Q: What are your future plans for Galaxy Beasts?

A: I can say that Galaxy Beasts is a huge fantasy world. As I already mentioned, I am currently working on writing a book that should be one part of the pentalogy. Over the years, I have invented many stories, so there will definitely be more books from this world. Next, I plan to make comics. And some board (maybe figurine) game. And so of course the TCG, currently the idea for 5 sets ahead and several battle decks is invented. Each of the sets will bring new game mechanics, each set should be released once a year (and sometimes some mini sets). So the meta will change regularly. Furthermore, several game modes are invented, so that the game will not always be about the same thing, but it will be possible to play it in more ways in the future.

Q: Will you be at any upcoming conventions?

A: Since I'm from Slovakia and my game isn't finished yet, I'm definitely not unless I'm directly invited by someone. Maybe one day, when the game is officially out and there is interest in it, we will be able to hold our own conventions. So the current answer is, I wasn't invited anywhere so no.

Q: Do you have any advice for someone looking to make their own TCG?

A: My advice is definitely not to rush anywhere. Don't release the game immediately after the first plan. Give it time, try playing the game with friends and try to improve it in terms of gameplay. Also, I know from my own experience that the longer you work on the game, the more you will change the cards visually. So give it time and slowly improve everything until you are 100% satisfied.

I note that there will still be some design changes on the cards.


For more, follow @galaxy_beasts on Instagram 









Comments

Popular posts from this blog

TCG Interview #90: Ward (Part 2)

I did a follow-up interview with Ward TCG, here are their answers to my questions! Q:  What’s new with Ward TCG since our previous interview? A: A lot has happened in the year since our last interview. Ward has hosted a dozen tournaments with great turnouts, lots of action, and many new players.    We have attended several conventions with the most recent being the HUGE Midwest gaming Classic in Milwaukee WI. The original actors from resident Evil 1 video game hung out at our booth for a while and were enamored with Ward.    We are in about 2 dozen stores, including a partnership with a Midwest convenience store chain “Luckey Seven”. They fell in love with Ward and have begun to spread it in their 37 stores across the Midwest.    We were invited to be on several interviews with ABC News. They also loved Ward and wanted to help promote an upcoming tournament we had in Minneapolis MN at that time. Being on Live TV was very nerve racking. We were also hosted by PBS for a short segment cal

TCG Interview #12: Neo Gambit

 I spoke with the creator of Neo Gambit- here are his answers to my questions: Q: Please describe your trading card game! A: NeoGambit is a fast paced and easy to play deck building combat TCG. Q: What inspired you to create a TCG? A: This came from a dream. I woke up from a nap and had dreamt of this fun TCG, reminded me of how much fun I had as a kid play card games. As a kid I spent hours playing games, but mostly alone, a lot of rules and effects for cards were off putting to others around me. So from my dream, NeoGambit was birthed. A simple fun TCG that literally anyone can play. Q: What TCGs did you grow up playing as a kid? A: My earliest memories are intertwined with TCGs, there wasn’t a moment in my childhood that I didn’t collect cards. Yugioh and Pokémon have been in my life as long as I can remember. I collected both Pokémon and yugioh for over 15 years. I also collected other TCGs over the years, my favorite being chaotic, I’d say that’s where most inspiration for the gam

TCG Interview #9: Nexvs

 I spoke with the creator of Nexvs- here are his answers to my questions: Q: Please describe your trading card game! A:  Nexvs Card Game is a two-player game designed to be compact, portable and fast paced but at the same time holds enough  strategic depth to have great games every time! In this game you will only need your 50-card deck, no extra deck, counters   or dice. The game board is easy to catch up and you can learn the rules in no time! With a space fantasy theme, through  Nexvs we will be able to explore many worlds, stories and characters!   Q: What inspired you to create a TCG? A: I've always liked to imagine sci-fi and fantasy stories since I was younger, so I began writing my own stories for fun!  Eventually I wanted to tell those stories through comics and games, but inside me there was a hidden passion for card  games that I didn't know about! My first inspiration was probably Digimon, but the 1999 card game through Digimon Tamers.  I wanted to make them just tr