Skip to main content

TCG Interview #96: Sciterra

 

I spoke with the creator of Sciterra, here are their answers to my questions!

Q: Please describe your trading card game!
A: Sciterra is an action packed strategy game where players cast magic spells, summon monsters, embark on quests, and use powerful charms to be the first to craft 10 sigils. Each player chooses a mighty hero and a powerful supporter to lead their deck before going into battle. With a combination of utilizing each hero’s unique hero power and attacking your opponents’ heroes, players assure victory for their chosen faction. 

Q: What inspired you to create your own TCG?
A: When my wife and I found out we were pregnant I wanted to leave behind something my future children could be proud of. Originally the game was going to be a board game, but after play testing I found that removing the board made so much more sense, and was way more fun!

Q: What TCGs did you grow up playing as a kid?
A: I was a huge fan of playing magic and Pokémon! But back before I knew you could actually PLAY with the cards, I collected Pokémon and Yu-gi-oh. 

Q: What sets Sciterra apart from other TCGs?
A: The two biggest things that sets Sciterra apart from other games is our Level Up system for playing cards and our Sigil win condition. Supporter cards all have a level up condition which will increases the amount of action points you get each turn, allowing you to play more cards or more powerful cards. One of the things I hated about playing magic was when we played with a bunch of friends, one player would get mana flooded and couldn’t play anything only to get knocked out first and then sit there while everyone else played for the next hour. With the Sigil win condition, even if a player gets an unlucky start, they are always still in the game and have a chance to impact the game and turn it around. 

Q: How did you come up with the name Sciterra?
A: When we had the gameplay in a good spot, I reached out to my sister in law who is a writer and had her come up with a deep lore for the game. She was the one who named the land of the story “Sciterra”!
 
Q: How long have you been working on the game?
A: I have been working on this for a little over a year!

Q: What is the illustration/design process like?
A: The design process has come a long way, but it all has been in photoshop. It used to be me designing over magic cards, but after I contracted an artist for my team, we now have our own borders (which are amazing) and I can adjust things as needed! For gameplay, I just try to create cards that will all lead to a strategy for the player, so even the common cards can have a strong impact on the game.

Q: When will the game officially be released?
A: We will be launching on Kickstarter, and we are waiting until he have 500 followers there!

Q: What are your future plans for Sciterra?
A: I would love to release a few sets every year and grow a player base of passionate players. Then I want to open my own shop and have in person events! And if possible I would love to have a pro tour with cash prizes!

Q: Will you be at any upcoming conventions?
A: I have not signed up for any conventions yet, but it’s something I am looking into. 

Q: Do you have any advice for someone looking to make their own TCG?
A: First you need to decide what level you want your game to be, do you want something just for you and your friends, or do you want to sell to the world? That will tell you how much money you should spend to make things look good, there is competition and some companies (wizards of the coast cough cough) have a lot of money for art. But no matter what, make something you think is more fun than anything else out there. This is a game, have fun!

For more, follow @sciterratcg on Instagram






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

TCG Interview #90: Ward (Part 2)

I did a follow-up interview with Ward TCG, here are their answers to my questions! Q:  What’s new with Ward TCG since our previous interview? A: A lot has happened in the year since our last interview. Ward has hosted a dozen tournaments with great turnouts, lots of action, and many new players.    We have attended several conventions with the most recent being the HUGE Midwest gaming Classic in Milwaukee WI. The original actors from resident Evil 1 video game hung out at our booth for a while and were enamored with Ward.    We are in about 2 dozen stores, including a partnership with a Midwest convenience store chain “Luckey Seven”. They fell in love with Ward and have begun to spread it in their 37 stores across the Midwest.    We were invited to be on several interviews with ABC News. They also loved Ward and wanted to help promote an upcoming tournament we had in Minneapolis MN at that time. Being on Live TV was very nerve racking. We were also hosted by PBS for a short segment cal

TCG Interview #12: Neo Gambit

 I spoke with the creator of Neo Gambit- here are his answers to my questions: Q: Please describe your trading card game! A: NeoGambit is a fast paced and easy to play deck building combat TCG. Q: What inspired you to create a TCG? A: This came from a dream. I woke up from a nap and had dreamt of this fun TCG, reminded me of how much fun I had as a kid play card games. As a kid I spent hours playing games, but mostly alone, a lot of rules and effects for cards were off putting to others around me. So from my dream, NeoGambit was birthed. A simple fun TCG that literally anyone can play. Q: What TCGs did you grow up playing as a kid? A: My earliest memories are intertwined with TCGs, there wasn’t a moment in my childhood that I didn’t collect cards. Yugioh and Pokémon have been in my life as long as I can remember. I collected both Pokémon and yugioh for over 15 years. I also collected other TCGs over the years, my favorite being chaotic, I’d say that’s where most inspiration for the gam

TCG Interview #9: Nexvs

 I spoke with the creator of Nexvs- here are his answers to my questions: Q: Please describe your trading card game! A:  Nexvs Card Game is a two-player game designed to be compact, portable and fast paced but at the same time holds enough  strategic depth to have great games every time! In this game you will only need your 50-card deck, no extra deck, counters   or dice. The game board is easy to catch up and you can learn the rules in no time! With a space fantasy theme, through  Nexvs we will be able to explore many worlds, stories and characters!   Q: What inspired you to create a TCG? A: I've always liked to imagine sci-fi and fantasy stories since I was younger, so I began writing my own stories for fun!  Eventually I wanted to tell those stories through comics and games, but inside me there was a hidden passion for card  games that I didn't know about! My first inspiration was probably Digimon, but the 1999 card game through Digimon Tamers.  I wanted to make them just tr